Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 Chevy Blazer Fuel Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member
NicoleC is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2000 Chevy Blazer Fuel Problem??

A couple weeks ago my blazer wouldn't start. Since its the only vehicle we have right now we needed to get it running asap. Ive had it for about 4 years now. My husband & I noticed that we didnt hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to the on position & you can usually hear it for a couple seconds after you turn the key off. So before doing any testing my husband told me to go get a fuel pump which I did. My first mistake was not paying the extra money for an AC Delco fuel pump. For some reason my husband doesn't like putting any money into my blazer. So going with the cheaper pump, after getting it installed it started right up and we drove it for about a mile and back with no problems. My husband then drove it to the store but before he could get out of the neighborhood it died and there was fuel coming out of the tailpipe. His grandpa told us to take out the spark plugs and let the fuel drain out which we did.
I know I need to do a pressure test and leave down which I'm going to try and do today but Im lost right now. They're still fuel sitting in the muffler because we pushed it up onto the concrete and fuel started to drain out because its sitting at a different angle than before. Also I pulled the oil dipstick & it smells like fuel.
I just found out that the fuel return line going back into the tank was kinked when my husband replaced the fuel pump. Could that make the fuel system back up & flood? Is it possible that this stupid fuel pump is bad and was sending too much fuel from the tank? Im going to drop the tank again to put the correct AC Delco pump in and get a new return line. What else should I test or maybe replace?

Old 01-02-2020, 05:13 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Your pump is prob fine - don't just throw money at it do ALL the fuel pressure tests. With the return line kinked you have prob at least blew the pressure regulator .....

Old 01-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Beginning Member

Can i still do all the fuel pressure tests with it flooding and coming out of the tail pipe? Also when i pulled my oil dipstick i found fuel in the oil. Should I drain the oil & replace it first

Old 01-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Pull the tank, replace your kinked line, and install an AC/Delco fuel pump. You'll probably thank me later, imagine breaking down due to a cheap pump during the middle of a snowstorm or when you happen to be driving through the hood in the middle of the night while driving back from somewhere.

And yes, definitely replace the oil before attempting a restart

Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you both odat & Billy1820. Its frustrating because I dont have a good mechanic I can turn to for advice & so Im researching anything and everything I can online. I bought the Haynes book for my year & make but it covers 4 different models. I really wish I could get some images or diagrams showing me exactly what each component to my blazer is and where they are located. Going forward Im going to be the one working on it because I love my Blazer & I DONT WANT to sell it or junk it (like some have told me to do).

Old 01-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

The GM service manuals pop up on eBay, they’re expensive but worth it. Original books also published by Helm Inc. for GM.

I always bought the GM service manuals for every car I’ve owned since I started driving. IMO any other so-called service book is garbage and a waste of your hard earned money

Last edited by Billy1820; 01-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by NicoleC
Can i still do all the fuel pressure tests with it flooding and coming out of the tail pipe? Also when i pulled my oil dipstick i found fuel in the oil. Should I drain the oil & replace it first
The flooded condition has nothing to do with the brand of the fuel pump the kinked line caused it. It ruined the fuel regulator, injection parts ECT and dumped fuel into block.

All pressure tests are done key on engine off so fuel in oil won't hurt the tests - but before starting the engine again the oil needs changed and the flooding problem fixed.

I am not going to open the old arguement up about acdelco pumps only, I do agree not to install a ten dollar cheapy but the sad fact is they are all made in China anyways { last few AC's I've installed for people were stamped with China. }
There is still good brands out there without paying out the a== just for the name - Bosch, Holly, Carter, Eldbrock just to name a few.

The elcheapo soft sided manuals that are for sale in the parts stores are junk, I see people talking about all data and some have said that for some years Rockauto has disks that contains close to service manuals - I don't know about those for sure but might be worth checking out.

Last edited by odat; 01-03-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again guys. I am going to drain the oil pan & order a fuel return line. Its going to take some time for me to get a new pressure regulator, fuel injectors, etc. I did find a place online that sells fuel return lines with one of the quick connects at a 90 degree angle which should prevent future kinking. Should I go with something like that?
Also after draining the oil pan should I flush it with something?

Old 01-03-2020, 02:41 PM

I have no opinion on the fitting but as far as the oil change just drain it and replace the oil and filter.
Before buying parts remove the air plenem on the engine and see where the leak is. With the return line kinked I will bet the regulator was ruined and is leaking and is dumping fuel into the valley.

Last edited by odat; 01-03-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

Ok. Thank you. I'll pull the plenem tomorrow morning & see where its leaking.

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Blazer Fuel Problem??