Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 cold engine tick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Starting Member
dano440 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Start off with... it aint bearings. Bearings make more racket when engine started warm.

Second: If that's what that ASE certified paper hanging on the wall GM Professional actually SAID, it is Bull****. The parts of the lifter that holds pressure doesnt wear to speak of.. and again if it does it would tick more when started after sitting in hot weather.
Actually Lifter get gunked up. Usually from improper maintenance and using oils named after a state that isnt Texas and not changed often enough for the driving patterns.

Third.. I will bet that when you get spells of overnight warm weather, the incidence decreases.. and if you think about cars where you have heard lifter noise as they started or drove by, that was a louder slightly higher pitch.

ergo.. 95% sure it's piston slap. You dont like it.. get a bottle of Lucas and pour half of it in while engine warm and running. Bet it stops in about a hundred miles or sooner.

It did in mine. I'd heard of piston slap but never had it until I got the Bravadiva.
OTOH, some say Lucas wont make any difference because the real culprit is Piston dome deposits.. if so, that would seem to call for a Seafoam treatment. Which I aint about to do.

what Lucas product are you using here???

I know about the Seafoam stuff but I am curious about this Lucas product there seems to be a whole line of stuff they make.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

The one that says to add it to engine oil.

It really does three things:
Has a seal swelling additive - really DOES stop seal and gasket leaks as long as they arent damaged.
Increases viscosity - 'cause, like, it's thick...
Clings well to cylinder walls partially because it's thicker, partially because of the chemical makeup.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Starting Member

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer ?

is this something to put in before a oil change or during a oil change

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by dano440
Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer ?

is this something to put in before a oil change or during a oil change
during. It's not an engine treatment, it's an oil additive. Again.... Not something to use unless you need it. Like for the piston slap. Or weepy pan/valve cover gasket. Might even slow down remote filter line weep. Will have to check and see if it did that.

Damn I hate shilling this stuff but when it works, it works. Had good luck now with lucas in AT, PS and engine. And Redline Water wetter for cooling system. All to FIX a problem.

Use good products like Mobil1 oil and Speedway gasoline to AVOID problems.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Starting Member

Well I just got my wife's old hand me down vehicle, 1999 Blazer LS 4x4 4 door. now it's mine to do with as I see fit. so it fixing time. the old beast has 132,000 miles on it. it got it's leaks, and rattles and clicks, pings, knocks, grinds, and whines. so I am trying to get it tuned up, cleaned up, and fixed for a everyday work vehicle, and hunting & range buggy.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
Cool

Originally Posted by dano440
Well I just got my wife's old hand me down vehicle, 1999 Blazer LS 4x4 4 door. now it's mine to do with as I see fit. so it fixing time. the old beast has 132,000 miles on it. it got it's leaks, and rattles and clicks, pings, knocks, grinds, and whines. so I am trying to get it tuned up, cleaned up, and fixed for a everyday work vehicle, and hunting & range buggy.
Well, you've been on here a while so you should'a been reading about all the hassles and potential quirks and problems. Anything that ever happened with a 2nd gen ought'a be covered here and you can find it reading DIY and searching.

And if you cant find an answer doing that, then just ask.. on a NEW THREAD.. and we'll make something up.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Starting Member

hey I tried the Lucas oil additive and it seem to help my piston slap noise it not gone completely but its a whole lot better.