Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 4X4 Blazer Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please do post the resolution to your problem.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member
Mgregory2K is on a distinguished road

It definitely wasn't (just) the fuel filter as I had hoped and prayed. I changed that out today and there was no difference. I've found some good videos on how to change the fuel pump, but I'm just not sure that's something I'm ready to take on by myself.

I think I'm going to drop it off at the shop this week.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I was about to change the fuel pump and decided that it wasn't a job I was fully prepared to take on so I took it to the shop. They called me back and said it's not the fuel pump, and that it is the fuel/spider injector. I'm waiting for him to call me back and tell me how much they want to replace it.

Anybody have any input here? He knows that I was prepared to pay about $700 total ($350 for part and $350 for labor) so I'm POSITIVE he's going to come back and tell me that this is a similar price...

Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Beginning Member

HA! Meineke wants $960 parts/labor to fix the spider injector. That's not going to happen. I have a feeling that the fuel pump will probably go out at some point as well and between both of those I'm not dumping that much in to this car.

Anybody had any luck with some injector cleaners or suggestions from here? It starts and when I hit the gas it goes, but stutters. It seems to be fine when going slow or just idling.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the poppet nozzles are gummed up/stuck, fuel injector cleaner likely won't help. When used as preventative maintenance at every oil change, it can help keep them clean, but to clean them after they are all gunk'd up, not likely.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member

I kinda figured that. Oh well. I tried searching for more info on the spyder injector, but I couldn't find much. Is there a "how to" out there on this? I'm trying to decide if it's something I'm willing to take on.

More Info: I did get it started, but only after banging on the fuel tank. This leads me to believe my fuel pump may be failing as well. Does that make sense? When it starts it idles OK, but when I give it gas it runs like complete crap...

Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Try spelling it spIder. Maybe search for "SCFI+spider" without the quotes, but keeping the '+' sign and see what turns up. Maybe add a "+upgrade" to see what else turns up.

Fuel pressure and leak-down test??? Have you done it yet? I scanned quickly, but couldn't see any posted results. Please try what has been suggested. We are not here to waste your time so please do not waste ours. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member

So, here's the final deal on the 2001 Blazer money pit that I've owned for 4 1/2 years:

I did all the work I could, but I don't have any special tools/instruments and so I dropped it off at Meineke with this starting/running problem. He told me it was the spider injector. I said, "Go ahead." He calls me today and tells me that now he thinks the spider injector AND the fuel pump are both bad which is going to come to a total of $1600 to fix.

I told him, "No thanks," and I'm just going to see if I can sell it on Craig's List. I don't have anymore patience or money to dump in to this thing and the problems it's having are out of my mechanical talent range.

Thank you all for your help on this bad boy...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member

So, just when I thought it couldn't get worse...

I decided to sell the Blazer, and thus needed it to get fixed. New spider injector, fixed the door that was hanging off, and new fuel pump for a grand total of $1434...just so I can try to sell it for about $2500.

Well, after all that crap it still has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I've taken it back to the shop twice now. Once it died on the way home, and the 2nd time it wouldn't start the next morning. They're still looking in to it...but my patience is running thin.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

Maybe have the ignition module tested...held on by two bolts and one wiring harness, and it can be tested by AZ or O'reillys, that may cause something like that

Quick Reply: 2001 4X4 Blazer Not Starting