Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2002 Blazer Top Engine Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Defiant is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Blazer Top Engine Sounds

So I have a 2002 Blazer with the 4.3L v6 and only 23000 miles on it that I recently purchased from my grandfather. Here is my problem, the truck starts up fine and sound perfectly fine with the oil pressure sitting at 60 psi at a cold start. Once I drive it around and its thoroughly warmed up with the engine temp sitting around 210F and oil pressure dropping down to 40psi at idle is whenever the loud ticking sounds begin. Its not really noticeable in the cabin but if I open the door it almost sounds like a diesel engine. I can only really hear it when the door is open and im sitting in the driver seat. There is absolutely no difference in drivability between the cold and warm engine states. Im no mechanic so I dont even really know where to begin and I dont want to run a top end cleaner like seafoam through it without knowing if it's going to hurt the engine. Im thinking this may have to do with the fact that before I had the truck the oil wasn't changed for almost a year and was maybe 1000 miles into the 3000 mile life of the oil. I also checked the engine oil level and its not low and to my knowledge isn't burning any oil. Any ideas?

Last edited by Defiant; 12-03-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM
jck1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you have this problem before changing oil? A friend of mine experience a similar thing after changing his oil. He removed the Fram filter and replaced it with a Napa Gold and problem solved !!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply. Well I did drive it when it was still in my grandfathers possession before the oil change and didn't notice it but that could only be because I had never had the engine on and the doors open. My uncle had the oil changed in it before It was sold to me. The other night I was screwing around checking for oil leaks because I was bored and noticed that the filter that was put on was some cheap looking one that from where i was sitting had no visual label. It was just white, so im assuming that the garage that performed the oil change put on some generic crappy filter. I plan on changing the oil soon and switching over to some pennzoil full synthetic and put a Delco filter on it.
It makes a noise similar to what I found in this guy's second video posting in the forum thread https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-engine-59116/. His problem was fixed by tightening his spark plugs. I plan on replacing the plugs and wires with some delco parts with my brother in a few weeks so if an oil change doesn't fix it then hopefully that will. The only thing that perplexes me is that the engine doesn't miss and it only happens when the engine is warm so how could it be a problem with the plugs.

Last edited by Defiant; 12-03-2011 at 07:41 PM.