Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3 only starts when using starting fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Both of your pressure readings at the filter are reflected at the service port readings. Which more than likely indicates the whole problem is in the tank. If service port leakdown was less than 38psi, it would indicate another leak in the plenum. We need both readings at both locations to pinpoint the problem. After you replace the pump, do the pressure and leakdown tests again, at both locations, and post the results. Then we will know if the regulator is working properly.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Beginning Member
camohunter is on a distinguished road

from all my research I keep hearing there needs to be 60-66psi to open the injectors and Im only getting 54psi at the filter so I'm guessing it's definitely the pump, I really hope.

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Both of your pressure readings at the filter are reflected at the service port readings. Which more than likely indicates the whole problem is in the tank. If service port leakdown was less than 38psi, it would indicate another leak in the plenum. We need both readings at both locations to pinpoint the problem. After you replace the pump, do the pressure and leakdown tests again, at both locations, and post the results. Then we will know if the regulator is working properly.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The injectors on your 2000 will open at any pressure, the problem is the poppets will not open below ~43psi. If regulated pressure drops below 60psi, you will have problems. That's why you have to add fuel to get yours running. If the pressure is in the high 50's, it might not start on its own. Once you get it running, it will stay running and idle fairly well, but might not accelerate well at all. In the low 50's, about all you can expect, is a rough idle. In the high 40's, IF you can get it running, it probably won't stay running at idle. If it drops below ~43psi, the poppets will not open and they will not squirt fuel. If you want it to run, you need to be the fuel injector

Using starting fluid is NOT recommended on an internal combustion engine. One stray spark, or a backfire, and you could have a flash fire, do serious engine damage, or worse. Carb spray is a better alternative.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah I see what you are saying, another thing is I changed the MAF sensor and the idle is fine maybe a little low and it accelerates really good after I did that, sometimes it will studder if i'm stopped then hit the gas pedal. This all started probably a year ago, first the fuel pump wiring harness was repaired about a year and a half ago then 6 months later the fuel gauge stopped working so the sending unit must of went bad, then slowly over a years time it got harder to start. Before the winter it took 2 turns of the key to start then winter came and it got very cold and now it wont start unless I use the spray. The smoke coming out of the tail pipe is white and it looks like water is leaking out of the tail pipe (might be from all the snow and cold weather) I smelled it and it didn't smell like anything.

Last edited by camohunter; 03-06-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member
Default New pump is in.

Well I put a new delphi pump in, new lock ring on, new straps on, did it all in about 3 hours all on my own, and she fires right up instantly with a turn of the key. The old one that was in there must of been a cheap replacement for the original because the 4 prong plug was already wired on. Thank you for all the help Captain Hook and rockp2!

Attached Thumbnails 4.3 only starts when using starting fluid.-img_20140307_161022_0.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Nice job, glad you got her going again. Did you check pressure and leakdown at both places afterward? Might not be a bad idea for a "benchmark" in the future.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Starting Member
Philip Ruby is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer...

Originally Posted by rockp2
If it starts with starting fluid (which you shouldn't use), we know that it is getting a spark. So I would check the fuel delivery first. As you can see all over this forum, that is a major problem. You need to do a fuel leakdown test as a starting point. You check it at the fuel line port at the rear of the engine on the driver's side. Borrow a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store and hook it up. With your key ON engine OFF, you will hear your fuel pump for ~2 seconds. The pressure at the gauge must read 60-66psi. It must not drop below 55psi for at least 10 minutes. Do this after your engine has had a chance to cool down. Post your results.
I replaced my fuel pump and the piece of **** vehicle still needs starter fluid to start

Old 03-26-2020, 03:42 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Philip Ruby
I replaced my fuel pump and the piece of **** vehicle still needs starter fluid to start
Not resurrecting a 6 year old post - thread closed.

Please, open new thread in the appropriate section and giving a bit more information about the Blazer, year, model, engine.

Last edited by error_401; 03-26-2020 at 03:45 AM.