Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3 Vortec oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member
Shaun67 is on a distinguished road

Although Blazers are rare in the UK there are a number of very nice examples about. I'm now on my third which I bought last year with full service history and 70,000 miles on the clock. Since then I have seen at least a couple of Blazers with around 50,000 for sale for about £1,000.
The most important things to check are the right hand drive only parts.
Pitman arms have to be reconditioned and things like radiators and heater parts are unique.
If you get the right vehicle they are great but get one that needs a lot of work and you will soon get sick of parts chasing.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM
BlazerEM is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Shaun67
Although Blazers are rare in the UK there are a number of very nice examples about. I'm now on my third which I bought last year with full service history and 70,000 miles on the clock. Since then I have seen at least a couple of Blazers with around 50,000 for sale for about £1,000.
The most important things to check are the right hand drive only parts.
Pitman arms have to be reconditioned and things like radiators and heater parts are unique.
If you get the right vehicle they are great but get one that needs a lot of work and you will soon get sick of parts chasing.
Thanks for the info.

To be honest I've been looking now for almost a month and no decent condition, low mileage examples have come up at all...

Getting fed up of looking every day lol!

So are most UK specific parts now discontinued?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 AM
Beginning Member
Shaun67 is on a distinguished road

Yes unfortunately. When GM pulled out of the UK market in 2001 they very quickly lost interest in the parts supply for right hand drive vehicles and there are a surprising number of differences. Any common parts are very easy to get but things like wing mirrors and crucially pitman arms have not been available for about 10 years and the left hand drive parts are totally different and not interchangable.
The dashboard is of course essentially a mirror image but it does mean that the heater and controls are again unique. Radiators are different and would have to simply be reconditioned.
There is a lot of very good information on this forum but the youngest right hand drive Blazer is now at least 16 and general motor factors will have never heard of them. I use PontiacJeep UK for any work on mine and there are several American parts suppliers but only for the lhd common bits.
I think it is therefore essential to buy the best you can as any UK Blazer with major problems will be a money pit and source of total frustration. Get a good one that has been looked after and they are a great workhorse. I did over 500 miles in mine on Wednesday in total comfort and about 24mpg.