Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4l60E motion issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM
Starting Member
okaussie is on a distinguished road
Default 4l60E motion issue

I have an 02 CC with over 250K miles. Bought it brand new. Have gone through 4 trannys.
This one has this problem:
When cold it is fine.
When it warms up, I have no motion, forward or reverse. The only gear is PARK. When it shut the truck off and restart it, the tranny is fine. Got it home and let it sit for a few days. Went out this morning, started it and it was fine, then when it got warm, got the same problem.
This tranny has 50K and was brand new when it was installed. The PCM was replaced with a new one a couple of years ago.
Tranny fluid is red and shows no signs of leaks.

Any help???

TIA

Bill

Old 01-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by okaussie
I have an 02 CC with over 250K miles. Bought it brand new. Have gone through 4 trannys.
This one has this problem:
When cold it is fine.
When it warms up, I have no motion, forward or reverse. The only gear is PARK. When it shut the truck off and restart it, the tranny is fine. Got it home and let it sit for a few days. Went out this morning, started it and it was fine, then when it got warm, got the same problem.
This tranny has 50K and was brand new when it was installed. The PCM was replaced with a new one a couple of years ago.
Tranny fluid is red and shows no signs of leaks.

Any help???

TIA

Bill
sounds like burned clutches to me, how hard are you running these things to go through 4 in over 250k?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

What's the condition of the transmissions you've put in it? Are we talking about newly rebuilt transmissions, or junkyard units with 150k+ miles on them?

It almost sounds like it could also be a wiring issue somewhere between the computer and the trans, the way the problem seems to "reset" after shutting the truck off and restarting...

Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Starting Member

To the use of my truck. It is a Daily Driver. Not much in 4wd. The first three times it was the 3/4 clutch that burnt up. Now this time it is something else.
The first tranny was the original in 02. The second was the rebuild of the first one. The third one was also rebuild of the first one and this one was a brand new crate tranny.
Never one from the junkyard. They were rebuilt from the original one or , in this case, a brand new one. This one has about 50K on it and have had it about 3 years.
Due to the symptoms and the way I can get it to work, it too, sounds like an electrical issue.

The PCM was replaced with a brand new one a couple of years ago for an unrelated issue. But you are correct in thinking this due to , as you say, resetting it by shutting the truck off and restarting it.

Any other ideas??

TIA

Bill

Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

To the use of my truck. It is a Daily Driver. Not much in 4wd. The first three times it was the 3/4 clutch that burnt up. Now this time it is something else.
The first tranny was the original in 02. The second was the rebuild of the first one. The third one was also rebuild of the first one and this one was a brand new crate tranny.
Never one from the junkyard. They were rebuilt from the original one or , in this case, a brand new one. This one has about 50K on it and have had it about 3 years.
Due to the symptoms and the way I can get it to work, it too, sounds like an electrical issue.

The PCM was replaced with a brand new one a couple of years ago for an unrelated issue. But you are correct in thinking this due to , as you say, resetting it by shutting the truck off and restarting it.

Any other ideas??

TIA

Bill
Definitely check your wiring harnesses, but also who rebuilt the first one, since it burnt its 3/4 clutches several times im wondering if the clutches were ever presoaked.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Starting Member

Since I have a totally different tranny, I am not going to worry about that but I will attempt to check the wiring.

Since I am unfamiliar with the tranny, where is the wiring attached to it? Which side of it and front or back of it.?
Sounds like I may have a loose connection somewhere.

TIA

Bill

Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 PM

Since I have a totally different tranny, I am not going to worry about that but I will attempt to check the wiring.

Since I am unfamiliar with the tranny, where is the wiring attached to it? Which side of it and front or back of it.?
Sounds like I may have a loose connection somewhere.

TIA

Bill

Have you had any check engine lights come on with trouble codes? When I lost first and final drive gears in mine, my engine light came on, diagnostic codes pointed me towards failing solenoids.

The main plug is on the passenger side, above the pan area. Plug is round and faces upwards.

Other than that there's a shift selector on the driver's side, but that's not going to give you a "no power" issue.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 01-14-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM
Starting Member

Can I get to that connector with the truck jacked up and crawl under it? The next question would be, if I do decide to remove it and reseat the connector, will this affect the PCM? Am I going to be able to drive it?

I had new cooling lines put on a couple of months ago and after that is when I started having this problem. Could replacing those lines affect the connection? Bumping it, dislodging that connection so it is intermittent, etc?

Maybe just reseating will fix it?? And I will check to see if it threw any codes..

Things to check..

TIA

Bill

Old 01-15-2020, 06:47 PM

You can get to it pretty easily from underneath. All you have to do is reach up and pinch/squeeze the plug on two sides to release it and it'll wiggle up and it'll pull right off. Simply unplugging and plugging it back in shouldn't cause any communication issues with the computer, so long as the key isn't turn on while it's unplugged. But even then, it won't cause major issues. With it unplugged, you'd just be left with the same issue you're having now, no movement when shifted into gear, since that plug sends power to the solenoids on the valve body and redirects the fluid around in the trans to shift gears, engage overdrive, etc.

It's very possible that when changing the trans cooler lines, the harness could have been bumped or damaged. They run on the same side of the transmission as the main electrical plug, so it's in the general area of that work that was done.

As an extra step, you could always try to reseat the plus on the computer under the hood for the same reason. Wouldn't hurt.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

I would think with the symptoms you described that the torque converter is failing. If you don’t have reverse it’s not going to be electrical. Reverse is totally hydraulic operated no electrical components needed. Good luck
Brad

Quick Reply: 4l60E motion issue