Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4l60E motion issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
okaussie is on a distinguished road

As to the torque converter, I think during one of the tranny issues it was replaced due to the bolts backing out and scoring it. As to the electrical, I will not only reseat the connector on the tranny but will also on the PCM as suggested.
Will be a few days before I can do it since it sits outside and is going to rain.

TIA

Bill

Old 01-15-2020, 08:32 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Did the transmission that’s in it now get a converter?

Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 PM
Starting Member

No, the one that is in is the one from two trannys ago..It was new when it was put in..

Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Transman304
I would think with the symptoms you described that the torque converter is failing. If you don’t have reverse it’s not going to be electrical. Reverse is totally hydraulic operated no electrical components needed. Good luck
Brad
That I was not aware of. That's why you're the transman

Old 01-15-2020, 09:46 PM
Starting Member

Brad, if what you state is correct, how come it only does it when warm not cold. And why would I lose all the forward gears at the same time?
Why would putting it in PARK, shutting if off and restarting the truck then allows me to have all gears including reverse??
Just asking questions to learn.

Bill

Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

You can not use the converter from a failed unit in another one. They are a garbage can for debris no way to clean them with out cutting open. So you are contaminating the transmission you have installed with debris from previous failed trans. There is also clutch lining that wears and fails. As far as moving cold and not when hot the converter has a turbine, stator, pump. The stator has what is called a sprag (one way clutch) that allows the stator to rotate one direction and lock the other direction. While cold the sprag will work properly as the tolerance is close but as heat is introduced the sprag will expand with heat and loose tolerance allowing the stator to rotate both directions. Causing a no move condition. On another note the cooler and cooler lines must be flushed between transmission exchanges.
Brad

Old 01-16-2020, 12:53 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info. The converter was was replaced then at some point later the 3/4 clutch went out. That tranny was rebuilt. Then the 3/4 clutch went out again not too long after the time before. This time they chose to replace the whole thing with a new crate tranny. That was about 4 years ago. All this time I was having tranny leaks from the cooling lines so about 2 months ago I had the cooling lines replaced and connected back to the radiator. Wasn't long after that this problem has shown itself.

That's the timeline to get us to this point.
When it gets warm outside and no rain, I am going under the truck and check for leaks, check the PCM to Tranny connection, check the connections on the PCM and check for any DTC codes.
That's about all I can do without taking it to a shop.
Seems like I am getting about 50-60K out of a tranny before it dies. Maybe I just got a lemon truck.

Bill

Old 01-18-2020, 11:28 AM
Starting Member

This morning, with a Wind Chill of +19 I checked the fluid in the transmission. It was above the warm line. Put on the Scanner. Found no codes. Started the truck up. Went through all the gears, including reverse. No problems. Put it back in Park. Checked the fluid again while running, it did drop to the warm level.
Waited til the water temp increased. checked the gears throughout the temperature increase and all was fine until it got to 186. Then it happened.

Shut the truck off, restarted it with a temp of 186 and went through the gears again. including reverse. All was fine.
When it gets warmer outside I will check the tranny to PCM connector. Still afraid to drive it. What happens if it happens and I can shut it off, and restart it? short of having it towed??

Bill

Old 02-13-2020, 05:50 PM
Starting Member

Update:
Took my truck to my mechanic. Found out the 2/3 clutch pack is bad. Costs over $3200 for it to be totally rebuilt. They did find a j/y tranny with 100K on it. But have to get it shipped in since none available here. $2300 installed.
Due to the miles, over 250K on my truck, it would be better to go with the j/y.
They, too, don't understand going through 4 tranny's since 2010.
Will update again when I get it back from the shop

Bill

Old 02-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Starting Member

Found all my receipts for the tranny since I purchased the truck new in 2002. Found that the 3/4 clutch pack was replaced 3 times and now the 2/3 clutch pack is bad.
It has never been totally rebuilt or a crate tranny put in, so the 2/3 clutch was the original and got 250k out of it and a whole lot less in the 3/4 clutch packs.
I have read where the 3/4 clutch pack does have its issues and gets replaced frequently as opposed to the rest of the transmission parts.
Since the one being put in is complete with 100k on it, everything is the same age so I figure that is a better deal in the long run.

Bill

Quick Reply: 4l60E motion issue