Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4th Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 AM
rsloop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4th Fuel Pump

1998 Blazer 4x4 4door.....My fuel pump I believe went bad again....Only 10psi of fuel pressure. I already had 3 installed by the local dealer ship ($1400 a pop). What troubles/stumps me is when I turn the key off I hear the pump run. Is this right. Also does anyone know where the red fuel pump test lead is that is referenced in the troubleshooting tables.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Default RE: 4th Fuel Pump

Well....It's off to the junk yard for this piece of JUNK! This truck will not stay running. The fuel pump runs but it will not start. When I install my fuel pressure gage I have fuel and bust of air. I dropped the tank and the pump looks and runs ok.....I'm lost.....

Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you have the propper gas cap on your truck. I have heard that if it isnt the right one with the the propper vaccum pressure you can go through fuel pumps like water. Also, make sure no one is dumping sugar or anything in your truck over night. Im willing to bet the gas cap is either bad or not the right one. Sounds funny but is a fact.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:14 PM
brock is an unknown quantity at this point

There are three plug in lines on the pump, is it possible the two outside ones got reversed. Any of you big brains have a thought on this?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM

It's strange....I turn the key on...I hear the fuel pump ...I turn the key off I hear the pump...I turn thr key on I DO NOT hear the pump...Off ...I hear the pump...On I do not hear the pump....What could it be....

Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds strangely like a failing ignition switch...

Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Is the ignition switch the part with the key or the wire in the column

Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It attaches to the ignition key cylinder. It is the electrical interface for the key cylinder in the column. Problems here can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. Run a search and read through the results. There should be a diagnostic procedure somewhere as well as a replacement procedure.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Here's what I did.....When you turn the key On ... No pump ... Key off ... Have pump, etc...etc...etc...So I cycled the key a few times and the last time I turned it off and the pump ran, I quickly started it and VAROOM......Of course the pump turned off and it only ran for a short while....I ordered an ignition switch today....I subscribe to Alldata.com and went through their troubleshooting tables with no success.