Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4x4 will not engage

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM
chickenhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 will not engage

I have a 2000 S10 Blazer. When I push the 4 Hi button the light flashes but it does not engage. I can hear a noise that I traced to the side of the transfer case. I sounds like something is trying to engage.Could this be the transfer case motor?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 will not engage

Could be... What do you have for a 4WD system? Auto4wd? Or just the 3 button switch in the dash?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 AM

I have a four button switch, 2 high, 4 high, 4 low and auto. The noise I hear is with the engine not running and ignition switch on.
Thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is the encoder portion of the transfer case encoder motor assembly. It really is too bad that the encoder is not replaceable separately as this is the most common failure point of these 4wd systems. Most likely what is happening is that the encoder is not reading the proper positioning of the transfer case sector shaft.

Here are a link that does not seem to be coming up in a common search:
4x4 Light consistent blink when engaged

That should provide enough information on your problem. Run through the typical stuff. If that does not show you a cause for the problem, then you may want to let a dealer diagnose it for you, pay the fee, then repair it yourself. You could throw parts at it and get it fixed either by luck or process of elimination, but you could end up spending a LOT of money in the process.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks for your reply. How do you replace the encounter motor?