General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

4x4 Will not engage, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

Ok so this is my 3rd blazer/jimmy I have had. I had my other ones many years ago and didnt have much mechanical knowledge. Now I can tinker and I was wondering before I climb down there in the snow (Michigan), if there is something simple I could look at or if this is common.

It is a 96 4 door 4x4 with the 4.3 engine. It has push button 4x4 and the button works, when I push it it clicks and sounds like its in but the front wheels are not spinning. When I go into low 4x4 the trany is low geared like it should but still no power to the front wheels. I looked at the one 4x4 fuse and its good.

Anything you guys can think of? Thank you so much.

Beef Gravy

No ideas at all???

hmm..........................................

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-22-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not replied.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

take it easy, not all of our questions get answered right away.

have you check out he vacuum actuator under the battery? or the vacuum switch located on the t-case? it's on the output shaft side, waaaay up on top (has 3 vacuum lines coming out of it).

it sounds like either the vacuum diaphram is torn (quite common), or there isn't any vacuum getting to it. that could be due to a hose that's fallen off (happens on these older trucks) or that vacuum switch i mentioned on the t-case.

if the vacuum isn't an issue, then check how the cable actually moves when the vacuum diaphram pulls on it. it should move like 3/4" to 1".

Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
take it easy, not all of our questions get answered right away.

have you check out he vacuum actuator under the battery? or the vacuum switch located on the t-case? it's on the output shaft side, waaaay up on top (has 3 vacuum lines coming out of it).

it sounds like either the vacuum diaphram is torn (quite common), or there isn't any vacuum getting to it. that could be due to a hose that's fallen off (happens on these older trucks) or that vacuum switch i mentioned on the t-case.

if the vacuum isn't an issue, then check how the cable actually moves when the vacuum diaphram pulls on it. it should move like 3/4" to 1".
thanks for the info, will look in the mourn... I was just havin fun bumping my post to the top.... not new to the forums by any means by the way, just a new account cus my ex old lady took mine..

Old 02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

no problem.

sometimes "new" members get impatient when answers don't come right away, and that's all it sounded like.

GL in the morning.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the fact that there is TONS of information already posted all over the forum. Read a little. Help your self out and then ask questions. Check out the Tech Article (DIY) link in my signature.

You may want to familiarize yourself with the rules of the forum as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:49 PM

lol wow. Sorry to bug you then. Fyi, tried searching, it is not the most easiest forum site to navi.. but I will direct my question else where.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tech Article (DIY) Index
How much easier could it be?

Way to miss the point completely! Kudos!

Sorry that your attitude has ruined your experience here, but the information is there for your viewing pleasure. Many people come here expecting everything to just be rewritten or looked up for them and put zero effort into looking for it. Your original post, followed by subsequent ill-advised posts, fit that profile to a 'T'. Everyone here donates their time and dealing with an attitude from people asking for help... Now that just takes away the main reason that most of us do this.

Display some semblance of an effort, adjust your attitude, and I am sure that you will find this place and its members much more hospitable. Or not, it matters very little to me.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Wow again! I am far from new here, as posted, I had my account a long time ago and my ex took the login and changed everything.

I am so sorry that you feel that I am a pain, I was just looking for a fast answer as I had little time to do anything when I posted and thought, and I know this is aweful, but I thought someone might be board and want to answer a question, after all if no one asked questions, no one would have answers on here.

No worries mate, I will disappear into the background and will never ask another question, I will just wait till someone else does and get that answer. I will also read more post now as it was pointed out me.

Once again, My profound apoligies for an inconvenience and God Bless.

Beef Gravy

Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road

Wow I think your missing the point completely, it's not the fact that you asked a question, just that you asked a question that has been answered millions of times before without searching other threads FIRST and trying to locate the problem. Instead you post some topic that has been discussed over and over, then rather then listening to some FRIENDLY advice, you give kyle a hard time and try to play the little "feel sorry for me I'll disappear" card.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM

lmao...geeze you guys settle down... not a big deal, not a feel sorry card, just backing down from an argument, move on.

I am glad I am not a new memeber, that would turn me away...

ok subject changed, let it go..