Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking Compressor

Is it "dangerous" to leave a leaky compressor? I'm sure its leaking from the middle where the two halves connect.

reason I ask is that i read that if the system gets too low that the clutch will no longer engage and will burn the belt off making your car undrivable :S

I now live out of town and its going to be -40 soon and you know, dont wanna get stranded and stuff.....

is it possible for it to be just the a/c oil, and no freon escaping? I asked my dad and he said that only a little bit of that oil can make a big mess and not to worry about it for now. And he also said that if i tried those refill kits with the sealer, that the sealer wont seal the compressor, true?

I mean, id rather have NO a/c then fix it, i rarely use it here in Canada

Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you read that from, but the only way that the compressor would burn up the belt is if either the pulley or the compressor froze up. The pulley itself is mounted onto a bearing at the front of the compressor. When the clutch engages, it pulls the outer portion of the clutch into the pulley. This outer section is connected to the compressor shaft.

So long as the bearing on the pulley is ok, you can disconnect the clutch electrical to disable the clutch. It won't hurt anything.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

and this will effect the defrost function right? as in it wont dehumidify the air, which is ok..

also will this slow/stop the leak and will the charge in system be effected?

thanks for the clear up kyle, that makes sense once you explain it, i just googled it and read some random problems and i think i got it on there.....

Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

google has never realy been much help for me at least, cause you have every redneck guy swearing you can seel a cracked block with JB weld. Yes I beleve it will still affect the defrost dehumidifying process but it won't stop you from receiving hot air. Disconecting the clutch engagement switch won't help or hinder the leak in any way, if there is a way the freon will find it's way out. A/C systems need at least 1/2 Lb of freon to run, so if you know you have a leak and the compressor won't engage you pretty much know your freon is gone (normaly)