Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

89 4.3 Jimmy stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
uwaidye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 89 4.3 Jimmy stalling

I have an 89 gmc jimmy with 250,000 miles on it. IT's a solid engine and runs great. Except for the other day when it stalled on me.
I was driving on the fwy and the engine just died. Then i started it up again and it ran. Then stalled after a few miles. Well i kept driving it until it eventually wouldn't start(because i killed the battery cranking it so many times). The periods between when it would die got shorter and shorter.
I changed the fuel filter. But still does the same thing. I'll start it, then it'll run fine for a few seconds. Then stall. I don't think it's the fuel pump because if I start it and step on the gas it'll keep running.The mechanic said he tested the fuel pressure and i'm only gettign like 5 psi or something. But before i drop 300 bucks to get the fuel pump fixed, I was wondering if anyone knows if it could be anythign else with the fuel system.
Oh yeah, when i was changing the air filter i sprayed carbuertor cleaner all over the plastic fuel delivery things(sorry) so would that have done anything?
Someone told me it's the air flow meter too.

ANy suggestions. Thanks guys.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 89 4.3 Jimmy stalling

a similar problem happened to me in my cutlass and i replaced the fuel pump but the problem continued. it turned out that the ignition module was going bad. does the truck run fine for 10-15 miles after you let it sit for a few hours?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 PM
cpm0487 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well 5 psi is defintely low for fuel pressure.The TBI usually likes somewhere around 11-13 pounds. If you're going to go the fuel pump route i would go with a Carter and only do it once. If it was the ignition module, the fuel pump will usually make enough pressure, until it quits. The prices for the parts are comparable for both, and the job isn't that bad if you want to do it yourself and save the labor costs.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: blazinrebel

a similar problem happened to me in my cutlass and i replaced the fuel pump but the problem continued. it turned out that the ignition module was going bad. does the truck run fine for 10-15 miles after you let it sit for a few hours?
It runs for about 10 seconds after i let it sit for a little while. Which is the reason i thought it was the fuel filter that built up fuel inside just enough to run the engine for a little. The truck stays on when i step on the gas but stalls when it idles. Could the fuel pump give enough fuel when reving high but not enough at idle?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have an 89 S15 Jimmy with 390K on the body if you can narrow it down to electrical or fuel problem. The last time i had trouble with my engine dying and not starting or starting and dying intermittently it turned out to be my distributer finally went bad. NAPA sells a complete remanufactored distributer. Once I replaced it I have not had any problems. In trying to figure it out I replaced the coil. If your fuel pressure is ok it could be the fuel pressure regulator in the TBI failing. I also rebuilt my TBI with a kit from NAPA. I have had two fuel pumps fail and each time the vehical would not start at all. The fuel pump is in the tank and each time I let a local shop replace becuase I do not have a lift which makes the job a little easier but not by a lot.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM

I just changed the distributer on my S15. I am going to try and find an inexpensive fuel pump and replace it myself. I'm a student and i have more time than money. Is the fuel pressure regulator in the TBI difficult to switch out? And is it expensive? If i change the fuel pump and the problem persists, that will be the next thing i change. I think this could be the problem because I sprayed Carb cleaner all over the unit in the throddle.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is a lot easier than the fuel pump. In the rebuild kit from nappa you get new orings and spring and it is relatively easy. My Haynes Manual has a breakdown of the TBI and it has been a while but you take of the meter assy from the top of the TBI and it is a spring and o-ring.