Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

91 S10 4x4 Idles fine but drives down the road like crap please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member
Kjared2 is on a distinguished road
Default 91 S10 4x4 Idles fine but drives down the road like crap please help

My 91 S10 Blazer 120,000 miles 4.3 Liter V6

Idles fine but when you rev in neutral it sounds like its choking to death and when you drive it down the road it takes a very long time to get up to speed, if you floor it while driving it just sounds like it choking again it takes me a good 2.5-3 minutes to get up to 65 mph while merging onto the freeway

Just replaced the fuel filter and dumped in some fuel injector cleaner, just replaced distributor about 3 months ago and also used a bottle of Sea foam in the pcv valve and gas

Any help would be appreciated this is my only vehicle to get to work and the truck seems like its dying

Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought is a clogged catalytic converter. You can try removing the O2 sensor and taking it for a spin. It will be fairly loud and may not run optimally due to the lack of the O2 sensor input to the ECU, but if the catalytic converter is clogged, it should run better.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member

Where is the oxygen censor located, at why would unplugging this make the catylitic converter work better......not questioning your answer just trying to learn

Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its in the exhaust pipe ahead of the catalytic converter. Removing it (not just unplugging it) opens up the exhaust so some can bypass the catalytic converter. If the cat is plugged up, removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe should show some gains.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

its right on the y pipe like right where it turns to head up to you manifolds

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member

Well I tried to take the the cat completely off and its friggin almost impossible, I got all the bolts out and the muffler disconnected and couldnt get the cat off the pipe right after the Y pipe so I unpluged the oxygen censor and it runs excellent I don't know if it was just a bad oxygen censor or what but it's running fine right now......sounds like a piece of crap with no muffler attached but it is running good

Thanks for every ones help, and any info on why it's running good now would be helpfull, should I replace the oxygen censor or cat or just leave it how it is? Honestly The truck just needs tp last me another 6 or 7 months till tax returns and the old S10 is going to the scrap heap....lol

Thanks
Again

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

sounds good well if it was a sensor problem the ses light would come on wouldn't it?
so i really think its the cat make sure tho .

Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member

The CEL does come on so I'm leaning towards it being the oxygen Censor I'm gonna pressure test before and after the Cat and see what the readings are