Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

92 TBI 4.3 ran bad, then never started again

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:36 PM
litlchevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 92 TBI 4.3 ran bad, then never started again

It was my Dad's '92 Blazer. I drove it one day and before I got down the street it started running like it only was hitting on 4 cylinders, I went back to the house, shut it off and it hasn't run since. It will crank, but it will not start. replaced plugs, wires, dist and cap, was thinking it was fuel pump, but boyfriend says it's getting fuel. We're stumped!!! Dumping gas into the throttle body, still won't fire!!!! HELP!!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 92 TBI 4.3 ran bad, then never started again

I gather the fuel pump is working. However that doesn't mean its getting enough fuel. Get your fuel pressure tested. It will help to knwo which fuel injection system you have?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Turned the distributor a little and she started and ran for 2 days, think it jumped time. Now won't start again, think it jumped again. How much of a job is that??? Stated in title it is a TBI

Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tim, it say's TBI in the title!! LMAO!

You most likely are looking at a timing chain replacement.

You'll have to remove the water pump, harmonic balancer and timing cover, possibly having to loosen up the front of the oil pan to do so. You'll want to rotate the engine around to TDC #1 before removing the timing chain and gear set. A quick way to do this is once you have the timing cover off, get the dots on the crank and cam gear to line up as close to possible. If it truely has jumped a few teeth on the timing gear, it won't line up properly. Just turn the crank until the crank dot is at the 12 o'clock position and then align the cam with the chain off. Replace the gear set & chain with the new one and spin the motor over atleast 4 revolutions, checking every 2 revolutions of the crank to ensure that the timing marks still line up. Button everything else back up and recheck the timing since you have altered it.

Hope this helps and you may want to run a compression check to make sure that the cam is out of time before tearing into it. If you find abnormally low compression (below 100psi) your valves probably aren't closing in time with the crank.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

[sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=bangbang.gif][sm=oopssign.gif][sm=owned.gif]

Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna get the timing chain set this week and see if we can get it done. Truck was my Dad's since new and runs like a champ- when running, so I hope I can get her going.