Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 4.3 vortec to 5.7 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012 | 12:45 AM
|
JT6850 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 95 4.3 vortec to 5.7 questions

So starting a build of my own and have researched it up but still have some questions on a 4.3 to 5.7 swap. I know I need motor mounts and wiring harness a different computer and w.e else but as far as everything working correctly that is where i have questions, will all the gauges and everything work in the instrument panel. Will it effect my 4x4, will it work with 4x4. I want to do the swap and make sure I still have all my bells and whistles, remote starter and security system things like that. Please any input would be great, any pointers tips, do's and don'ts , cost too nobody has seemed to list how deep you gota go or how little you can get by on

Old 12-11-2012 | 05:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have probably picked the most difficult year to answer this question and to perform this swap on because of how many different configurations, computer wise, that it came in. I am not sure of how many v8 vehicles came with the same screwed up system in 95, but if you can find a whole truck/car to scavenge harnesses from that would make your work easier. Sticking with a 95 GM donor will likely give the easiest results.

Once you find a truck/car that has the same computer setup, buy the factory service manual for both your truck & for the donor. Then sit down & start studying the wiring diagrams to determine where you need to graphed the harnesses together.

If your truck is an early 95 (OBD1), just dump in a modded TBI 350 and call it a day. If it is OBD1, you would only have to get the PROM flashed for the V8 tune after making everything fit under the hood and wiring up the motor.

I can't help you with your price as I think you are in for a real adventure. Price often depends on availability of parts and how much of the work you are doing yourself.

Old 12-11-2012 | 11:38 AM
|
JT6850 is on a distinguished road

The work will be done by myself and figures I went and bought the messed up year. Im not 100% for sure but i believe it is the later model. I wish i knew someone personally who has done a similar swap so I could ask them. The only thing im worried about is the computer stuff, if the vehicle was older there wouldn't be an issue, but u suggest finding a 350 the same model year, and transmission wise im pretty sure it will bolt up but will it hold up to the added power?

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:14 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I can only help by saying that I have seen pictures of it being done.What your trying to accomplish is something I made the mistake of trying to do,which was put a 95 cpi in place of 96 sfi.Wiring harness nightmare.I switched my engine back over to 96 sfi.