Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 chevy blazer in need of expert help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Starting Member
vein420727 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 chevy blazer in need of expert help

Ok so as you know I have a 1996 chevy blazer. I was leaving work on day and it spuddered and stalled like it ran out of gas so I tried getting gas and still wouldnt start so I got more gas and nothing so I had it towed home and started checking stuff I put a new distributor rotor and distributor cap on it and still nothing I would turn it over and when I let off the motor would keep turning over for a few seconds and rock the whole blazer. I was told it may be out of time so I took everything apart and my dots on my crank and cam shaft matched up my chain had some play so I changed it just to make sure it wasent the problem I also grabbed a crank shaft sensor form a junk yard again just to rule that out I got it all back together and still wouldnt run I checked my purge on my gas line and it had good pressure I took my #1 spark plug out and it smelled like gas was on it and i could see it was moist I put a screwdriver in my sparkplug wire and its getting spark what could my problem be!? I also dont know if the balance shaft which I believe is ran off a gear from my camshaft has to be linned up with something or not I am also not sure if I put my distributor back in right I could only get it to slide all the way down two ways. With the rotor facing one way or the exact oppisite? Anyone with any ideas or solutions it would be greatly appreciated ive been working at this for almost 3 months but im no expert when it comes to motors

Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member
cleaveley is on a distinguished road

lets just say, if you didnt mark which way you took the distributor out, good luck. the thing may never run again unless you take it to a shop. my dads 98 sierra did the same thing as what your sayin, (spit sputter, shake the vehicle when whirling) he takes a heat gun and heats the distributer cap and it will fire right up.. i think your issue is a little different tho.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You said that your truck had good fuel pressure, but these trucks are very sensitive to improper fuel pressure. Have you done a leak down test to make sure that it's getting proper fuel pressure? It needs to be 60-66psi with the key on-engine off, and hold above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after you turn the key off. Anything less than that and you'll have problems.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

the dist only goes in 1 of 2 ways, Correctly or 180 degrees off. Unless of course you turn the motor over with the dist out. Any other direction and the dist wont seat properly becasue the oil pump drive doesnt seat. Fuel problems are common, the regulator on the injector unit is known to leak inside the intake casueing fuel pressure to leak down quickly and can cause a no start.