Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'98 blazer questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
syn- is on a distinguished road
Default '98 blazer questions

Had a ford explorer sport previously till a cadilliac decided to total it. Always a fan of the blazer body style (97-02) I am looking to buy one now. Found someone selling a 98 that the owner said has 250k on the body and newer motor with 80k installed recently. the truck was a trailblazer originialy so it was 4x4 though he said it is disconnected? curious how that works as far as problems. I won't be towing anything with the truck, but will be just putting my old system into it and using it for a daily (figure 16 miles a day and maybe 50 miles on the weekends). what should I watch out for when looking the truck over and driving it?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it is a 98 w/ the Trailblazer trim level? I do not believe that trim level was offered until 99.

If the 4wd is disconnected, that can mean bad/expensive things have happened inside the transfer case. The NV236 transfer case used in the Trailblazer trimmed trucks (among others) is complicated in that it has a clutch inside that allows for varied application of power to the front axle when in the Auto4wd mode. This requires a special fluid to be used or damage to the clutch can result. I would ask more questions about why the 4wd was disconnected before making the purchase.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd want to know why the 4X4 has been disconnected. Do you plan on making 4 wheel drive in the future?

Check out these threads. Click!
And maybe this one. Click!

Kyle you type too damn fast..LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 PM

not planning to use 4x4, I have actually been trying to find one without it. From what I remember from the conversation there was some mention to the driveshaft (just can't recall what was exactly said in specifics) but the truck had a crappy motor in it when the current owner bought it. Now he put in 4.3 vortec with 80k on it. So including the original motor, this would be the 3rd. Here is a picture of the vehicle

Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can tell in the picture, the body looks pretty good. That is not a Trailblazer trim level truck though. There would be skirts on the rockers under the doors and different rims. The interior would also have a very different look to it.

I would not try to convert it to 2wd...

Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, it would say 'Trailblazer' on the body on at least the tailgate.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM

according to the owner the 4wd is there, but not hooked up. so effectively would it not be a 2wd? reguardless, you think it is a good idea with a roughly new motor (reciepts show it) @ 80k with 250k on body? (keep in mind asking is only 2500) future plans would be probably just lowering it (doubt bagging since it can be a 3-5k investment) and aftermarket headlights.

Last edited by syn-; 05-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.