Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 blazer won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 AM
mkemu80 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer won't turn over

ok i have a 98 ls blazer. I drove it, washed it, drove it to the bank, parked it, and it didn't want to start. when i crank it the starter kicks, the battery is charged but it won't turn over. I called a friend and he called a friend and they suggested starter fluid. sprayed some into the intake and it turned over but wouldn't stay on. i figured maybe low on fuel, i added 2 gallons and tried again and nothing. not sure where to go next. we checked the fuel pump relay on the fuse box and it sounds like its clicking when the ignition is turned. i don't hear the fuel pump, so my question is, where do i go next? is it the fuel pump, the spark plugsm what? PLEASE HELP!!!!! I need my blazer this winter seems like alot of snow here in jersey and blazers don't get stuck. thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like the fuel pump. there is a little valve on the fuel line coming up from under the truck. has a black cap on it, take the cap off push it in and see if gas comes out. if none comes out most likely fuel pump.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Really should test the pressure. The presence of fuel does not mean that the fuel is supplied at the proper pressure for the fuel injection system to actually use it. Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for the proper fuel pump pressure and leak down test procedure.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM

ok lee thanks i checked the lil black cap valve and fuel came out. anymore ideas?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Really should test the pressure. The presence of fuel does not mean that the fuel is supplied at the proper pressure for the fuel injection system to actually use it. Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for the proper fuel pump pressure and leak down test procedure.
I find myself doing this more and more...

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

This will probably be too technical and involved, but have a read through this post:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM

sorry swartlkk, i will check the pressure tomorrow. problem is i live in a urban city in jersey and the truck is parked in the streets so i have to check the easy things first. but tomorrow i will check the pressure. i could probably do the job myself but no garage to work in so I'm trying to narrow it down as much as possible before mechanics try to rob me.