Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Blazer Zr2 Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The freeze frame for P0300 shows coolant temp at 156F, it needs to be ~198F. Possibly not completely warmed up, or the thermostat is stuck partially open. Coolant temp needs to be at operating temp, (~198F) for fuel trims to be accurate.
I found that very odd also. This was during the first run-up and I was waiting for temp to get to 195 for the thermostat to open so I could add coolant if need be. When the wife said the SES went on I looked at the puter and the first thing I noticed was that it said the truck was in closed loop. Isn't it supposed to be ~195 before it goes into closed loop? Is there something I need to fix?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Doesn't need to be at operating temp to switch to closed loop. The oxygen sensors need to be creating voltage. The faster they heat up, the faster the PCM switches to closed loop. That's why they put heaters on them, so they heat up faster.

EDIT: When they first came out with oxygen sensors back in the late 70's, they didn't have heaters. It took quite a while before they started creating voltage. They found out that if they put a heater on them, they would heat up faster and start creating voltage sooner. The sooner the PCM switches to closed loop, the better fuel mileage you'll get. On a hot start, it can switch in a matter of a few seconds after starting.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-19-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Doesn't need to be at operating temp to switch to closed loop. The oxygen sensors need to be creating voltage. The faster they heat up, the faster the PCM switches to closed loop. That's why they put heaters on them, so they heat up faster.
Awwww.....so that's why they were showing some voltage on the live streaming data before we even started the truck up (KOEO).

Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, exactly.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM

So tonight I hook up my puter with the scantool on it and I'm wondering why I don't see all the GM Enhanced features I bought. Then I "Change Vehicle" and this time I instead of choosing "Generic PowerTrain" I choose "Enhanced PowerTrain" and BAM! there it all is. Holy Jumping Data Batman...what am i going to do with all this?! That didn't even count another buttload of data for the BCM. Start playing around a little and sure enough there is the Onboard Test to do the Crank Variation Relearn. Didn't do it tonight because I want to read more on it. Plus my CMP Retard read 0 degrees and I find it hard to believe that I nailed it when I installed it. so I gotta figure ot what's going on there. Also saw my "Knock Sensor Voltage" was in the yellow reading 4.76v. I have no idea what that means yet so if someone wants to throw me a bone, I'll take it! It was all info overload for me (but I want to learn about all of it), and I'll tell you, if this Crank Variation Relearn works also...I think this was $500.00 well spent. I'm a data junkie.

The only downside I have found so far is it is apparent that the makers are expecting that only ASE types are buying this. There is basically no instructions for the enhanced mode. I'd like to start a Scantool thread. It wouldn't be only for people that own the AutoEngunity Scantool, but getting deeper into OBDII so that people like me that own this type of software can basically use the thread as our instruction manual. Are the moderators OK with me starting a thread like that?

By the way, I can't wait to finish my bodywork so I can get my truck on the road to do the drive-cycle test. It is purring like a kitten and there's not a drop of anything anywhere. Which makes me wonder...how am I going to notice if the Crank Variation Relearn does anything? I mean it is running very, very smooth right now. Knock on wood (knock, knock), I will be lucky enough to have the same level of results once I start driving it.

EDIT: This thing even has a bi-directional command so I can activate the fuel pump and empty the fuel tank if I wanted to. Pretty cool for a newb to this stuff like me. Yeah i know you can do it with a fused jumper wire also...but let me bask in the "pretty cool" factor a bit will ya

Last edited by rockp2; 03-20-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 PM

Herv, you sound like a kid on Christmas morning! Lots of stuff to see that you didn't even know existed!

On the CMP retard, it will always show zero when you first start the engine. Gotta snap the throttle over 2K rpm and back to idle to get an accurate reading.

As for the crankshaft position sensor relearn, if you had the crank sensor off and or the timing cover, you need to do the relearn. When you get to the menu for it, the scan tool will tell you how to do it. Basically you bring rpm up to 4K, when the PCM takes over throttle, (you'll hear it) take your foot off the gas. Let it do its thing. When it's done it will tell you, only takes a few seconds.

Bi-directional functions are useful when diagnosing problems. BCM & IPC are fun to fool with. You can operate darn near every component on the vehicle, (horn, head lights, tail lights, AC clutch, door locks, all the gauges, all the idiot lights, etc) right from the scan tool. Somewhere in it there should be a chart that tells what all the acronyms are. Pretty sure it has graphing too, which simplifies diagnosis for oxygen sensors, TPS, MAF, EGR, etc etc.

The next step up with scan tools, (~$5K) allows you to access twice as many data streams as you have now, plus more bi-directioanl stuff. Really gets technical.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM

Yeah there are some bi-directional funtions for the BCM...not a ton from what I found...but some. I tried one tonight but it didn't work. My truck was running at the time though so maybe it's supposed to be KOEO. I tried to turn on the "Upshift light". Didn't try anything else after that.

I am like a kid at xmas! Back when I was a kid I loved working on cars. Dad came home one day and I had taken the carb off the station wagon because it would diesel when Mom shut it off. I was like 14. Dad wasn't happy . I had no idea what i was doing, but I learned. By the time I was 18 I was doing pretty good. Worked in a massive auto parts store that was also a speed shop in San Diego. The rich customers from Coronado used to come in and buy parts and pay me and my buddy to install them after hours. Amazingly enough we never had a cop show up while we were laying under a Porsche at 3:00am.

I go into the Army and now all the cars seem to have their engines placed incorrectly by the manufacturers (sideways). So I stop working on cars. Nissan Sentra breaks its timing chain, I fix that and get comfortable again working on cars and then PCM's become a major factor. No longer can I hear about a symptom and say, "Oh that's the [problem]." Now it could be a sensor or doodad or whatever. So I vow that I will never put a wrench on a car again. Now I have a really decent setup in my garage (only thing I'm missing is a lift and a tire changer pretty much) and NOW I have the power to learn about those %*%& computers and sensors and actually tell them to do something. Mwaa-haa-haaa! I'm fixin to be dangerous again

Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Well I just did the Crank Variation Relearn with my AutoEngunity Scantool. Tool took control from me at 4,000rpm and came back with "Test Successful"! I have to admit I was wincing taking that brand new engine that hasn't even been on the road yet up to 4K.

Captain, before the relearn I did like you stated for my CMP retard. Did it a few times. The only change it made is it went from 0 to -0 when I snapped it up to 2K. Was I just plain lucky putting the distro in?

Also...now when you tell people they can't do the Relearn with an el cheapo $500 scanner...I will beg to differ

Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 PM

You got lucky, better go buy a few lottery tickets!

Add the cost of your laptop, and you're well over $500!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Add the cost of your laptop, and you're well over $500!
Ok, ok...you win.

Quick Reply: 98 Blazer Zr2 Engine Replacement