Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

all oil cooler lines are leaking!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
rick oshay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default all oil cooler lines are leaking!!

Ok fellas, this is my first post and its pretty serious. I just got this blazer about a week ago. Runs and idles smooth.. Good price. Turns out after removing the bottom oil filter hatch plastic and cleaning things up a bit, I noticed today my engine oil level was very low. I also can now see where the oil is leaking. It appears to be leaking out of all oil lines. Were the metal crimps onto the rubber, there are small metal holes and dammit it is leaking from the holes and also from in between the rubber and metal crimps!

My question is what can cause so many different leaks locations at the same time?? I could imagine one or two leaks on a hose hose, but it seems the hoses are slowly dripping from all possible common failure locations. You think something else has caused this type of failure, or can the hoses just be way too old??

Blazer has 144 original miles. Please help me.

P.S. Is it alot of work to replace lines? Any advice or tips on procedure??

I dont have a service manual yet so any good sites with instructions for replacement of lines? I have checked autozone and need something with bolt torque info, etc, etc.

THANKS FRIENDS!!

Rick

Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Default RE: all oil cooler lines are leaking!!

Ok guys forgive me for trying to find an easy answer to this problem without doing the research first.. Its just that internet access isnt that convenient right now.. And Im doing this in the sierra nevada mountains outside in the elements with limited timframe, PLUS most of my tools, jackstands, jack, etc. are in Vegas!!!

Anyways I researched and learned what I needed to learn.

Question that really needs an answer- What kind of hose clamp is needed for ghetto repair? Can regular screw tightening clamps work? How many clamps on each end of hose? Im Gonna do it ghetto style first, then clean everything up and see if anything else is leaking/messed up. Dont know if I want to keep the blazer, esp if itll be a lot of money to get it dialed in.

WORD!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you use high quality clamps, it should be fine. You can start with one, but two may be better. It all depends on how good your hose is.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 AM

Ok that was the dirtiest auto work I have EVER done.

I removed the lines going to radiator, and I also removed the engine mounted adapter because it seemed like it was leaking from there also. However, I could not for the life of me and about 45 minutes of trying, get the longer pair of lines running from front filter to engine adapter out from under the vehicle.

I had a difficult time removing the engine mounted adapter. I had to gracefully use a bar to move things around and it BARELY slid out and into my hand. Those lines on the other hand just did not want to work with me. They are stuck under the blazer and I need to know the best way to take it out from under there. I gave up on the prying with bar idea because I did not want to break anything else.

Please help me with ideas. And also please inform me where to get those clamps and how those are installed. Home Depot? WHat about a good place for hosing?

I have included a picture of engine mounted adapter. Like I said, It was leaking from this part. I cleaned here up and I have noticed small cracks. Im not certain if these are normal effects from the manufacturing process, or if they are actual stress related cracks..... They dont seem like it would cause the leaking, and Im hoping that the flattened orange rubber gasket is that cause of the leak. Are the new gaskets actually round or are they flat like the one in my picture?

The last trip I drove 4 friends including myself to Northstar ski resort. The trip back and forth was 17 miles. Cold weather, there was coolant present and temp gauge was normal. I hope I didnt mess anything up because I am really happy with the way it idles and drives now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13749/F0A91802F9954DF99FF61D0D71260EC1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 AM

The cracks I am reffering to are the ones located long the top, of the inner diameter of orange oring gasket seen in picture. WORD!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

well im guessing you have a 2nd gen S10 Blazer....And yes rigid part of the engine hose is a pain to remove, i sat underneath mine for a good 20 min wiggling it around to get it out. I know this sounds stupid but just keep working at it. I pulled mine out from the front. Also there is a small clamp mounted just out of sight holding the hose to the engine. this is all i can rembember being the tricky part. Hope your luck improves! i was able to locate the replacement hose in canada with crimped ends and all for around $80 bucks so it may just be worth it to replace it all.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 AM

Hey right on thanks for your help I appreciate it all. I for shure removed that clamp. Its still too tight I can see and feel it wont slide out the front unless I can open up the area to slide it out. Please help me guys. How about a jack and a block of wood? But jack up what area/location?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 AM

and do you guys see my picture I tried to attach?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

hm well i know there are alot of posts if you look at the botom left corner of the page and there are threads already going. I often find these to be helpful and hopefully it will help you out.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 AM

ok getting that line out from under there just about killed it! I had to jack up the engine slightly after removing the engine mount bolt. QUESTION From the adapter to remote, should the oil line from adapter OUT connect to remote OUT?? Or does it go adapter OUT runs/connects to remote IN? The pictures show out to out, in to in. I didnt document these details during dissassembly. ALSO any tips on how to soften clean up adapter gasket? Its cooked onto engine mating surface and getting my hand into that area to scrape it off aint gonna happen.This repair really sucks.

Rick