Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Bluetooth scanner for transmission codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member
John925 is on a distinguished road
Default Bluetooth scanner for transmission codes

I'm not 100% sure where to post this, so move it if necessary. But I have a 2003 Blazer LS and have been having a few issues with the transmission. I'm pretty sure that it may be a bad solenoid (hopefully). The scanner I used only pulls power train codes. I've been looking at Bluetooth scanners along with the Torque app which looks pretty cool. My only question is whether or not it can pull transmission codes. I don't want to spend $100-$200 on a new scanner if I don't have to. Anyone know from experience or can point me in the right direction?

Old 07-18-2016, 10:58 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by John925
I'm not 100% sure where to post this, so move it if necessary. But I have a 2003 Blazer LS and have been having a few issues with the transmission. I'm pretty sure that it may be a bad solenoid (hopefully). The scanner I used only pulls power train codes. I've been looking at Bluetooth scanners along with the Torque app which looks pretty cool. My only question is whether or not it can pull transmission codes. I don't want to spend $100-$200 on a new scanner if I don't have to. Anyone know from experience or can point me in the right direction?
Transmission codes are powertrain codes. You will need Torque Pro and enable GM enhanced to read the GM enhanced PIDs - and then you should also get transmission codes. Car Gauge Pro will do more on Blazer transmission than Torque Pro (read tap cells, etc) but not as nice of interface or as easy to use. Car Gauge Pro will also do Cam Sensor Retard on Blazers, while Torque Pro will not, but doesn't appear to work for GM enhanced PIDs on 1996-1997 Blazer models or on 2006+ GM vehicles. Dash Command will do Cam Sensor Retard and can handle 1996-1997 model Blazers. With Dash Command you need to pay $10 + $10 for GM enhanced PIDs. Any of these can use Bluetooth. I highly recommend the BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth device on Amazon. Much faster and more reliable than other Chinese Clones (believe it). You do know that transmission codes will turn on the SES light, right? Good luck.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-18-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Transmission codes are powertrain codes. You will need Torque Pro and enable GM enhanced to read the GM enhanced PIDs - and then you should also get transmission codes. Car Gauge Pro will do more on Blazer transmission than Torque Pro (read tap cells, etc) but not as nice of interface or as easy to use. Car Gauge Pro will also do Cam Sensor Retard on Blazers, while Torque Pro will not, but doesn't appear to work for GM enhanced PIDs on 1996-1997 Blazer models or on 2006+ GM vehicles. Dash Command will do Cam Sensor Retard and can handle 1996-1997 model Blazers. With Dash Command you need to pay $10 + $10 for GM enhanced PIDs. Any of these can use Bluetooth. I highly recommend the BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth device on Amazon. Much faster and more reliable than other Chinese Clones (believe it). You do know that transmission codes will turn on the SES light, right? Good luck.
So in short, if I do get one of the Bluetooth scanners, torque pro, and enable GM enhanced, I'll be able to get the P07XX codes? At this point that's all I'm looking for. Yes I do know that transmission codes will turn the SES light on. I also have a parking brake light and abs light.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:47 PM

So in short, if I do get one of the Bluetooth scanners, torque pro, and enable GM enhanced, I'll be able to get the P07XX codes? At this point that's all I'm looking for. Yes I do know that transmission codes will turn the SES light on. I also have a parking brake light and abs light.
That is my understanding. However I should say that the only experience I have had with trans codes was using Car Gauge Pro - it read a p07xx code when hooked up to powertrain module when my trans had a bad solenoid. I don't think it will be a problem for you either way. Torque Pro is dirt cheap, and if it doesn't work for you get Car Gauge Pro (also dirt cheap). About $15 for both, they are both downloadable immediately, and they use the same Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. If Torque Pro will do what you want, it would be the preferred app to use. A slicker interface and a bit easier to use, but they both have their benefits.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-18-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Beginning Member

That is my understanding. However I should say that the only experience I have had with trans codes was using Car Gauge Pro - it read a p07xx code when hooked up to powertrain module when my trans had a bad solenoid. I don't think it will be a problem for you either way. Torque Pro is dirt cheap, and if it doesn't work for you get Car Gauge Pro (also dirt cheap). About $15 for both, they are both downloadable immediately, and they use the same Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. If Torque Pro will do what you want, it would be the preferred app to use. A slicker interface and a bit easier to use, but they both have their benefits.
Yeah I looked at Car Gauge and it doesn't look as user friendly. I saw a few Torque Pro videos and it's pretty in depth, yet no one showed whether it could pull transmission codes. They just went on about the different features on top of diagnostics. I ordered the top rated scanner from Amazon just to be on the safe side of things. I appreciate your help

Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 AM

Yeah I looked at Car Gauge and it doesn't look as user friendly. I saw a few Torque Pro videos and it's pretty in depth, yet no one showed whether it could pull transmission codes. They just went on about the different features on top of diagnostics. I ordered the top rated scanner from Amazon just to be on the safe side of things. I appreciate your help
You are welcome.

If you hook up Torque Pro and get no transmission codes, you can always pull off the electrical connector to definitively set a code and verify that it can read them. Let us know about Torque Pro and ability to read trans codes in any case.

Good luck with your diagnosis.

p.s. did you order the BAFX Bluetooth device or something else? Either way I would be interested in Adapter PID Read Speed that is found under Adapter Status in Torque Pro. The BAFX device has been getting somewhere around 25-30 pids/sec on the Blazers. The Scantool.net bluetooth device ($80-$90) has been around 30-35 pids/sec. Other bluetooth devices have been much less.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-19-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Beginning Member

You are welcome.

If you hook up Torque Pro and get no transmission codes, you can always pull off the electrical connector to definitively set a code and verify that it can read them. Let us know about Torque Pro and ability to read trans codes in any case.

Good luck with your diagnosis.

p.s. did you order the BAFX Bluetooth device or something else? Either way I would be interested in Adapter PID Read Speed that is found under Adapter Status in Torque Pro. The BAFX device has been getting somewhere around 25-30 pids/sec on the Blazers. The Scantool.net bluetooth device ($80-$90) has been around 30-35 pids/sec. Other bluetooth devices have been much less.
Yeah I got the BAFX device. I'm still figuring out torque pro. Haven't been able to pull transmission codes yet though. For some reason I get an error with Car Gauge Pro when I try to test anything other than the default settings. Also, how do I enable the enhanced GM setting on Torque Pro?

Last edited by John925; 07-19-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:46 PM

Yeah I got the BAFX device. I'm still figuring out torque pro. Haven't been able to pull transmission codes yet though. For some reason I get an error with Car Gauge Pro when I try to test anything other than the default settings. Also, how do I enable the enhanced GM setting on Torque Pro?
Torque: Settings/Manage Extra PIDs-sensors/click on 3 dots at top right. Then add predefined set/Pontiac-GM-Opel-Vauxhall. (this is German Software).

Car Gauge Pro: Connect/GM/Powertrain/Full Auto Scan (and complete connection). I would also save the PID scan to filename of your choice if you want to import the PIDs instead of scanning each time. Once connected and PIDs scanned you can go to Diagnostics and read the codes. If you are trying to use Car Gauge Pro on a 2006+ GM or some other vehicle for some reason, know that it won't do GM CAN protocol for enhanced functions (and CAN protocol started 2006). Ford CAN protocol is fine, and it actually does ABS and Air Bags on Ford (Car Gauge Pro was designed for Ford/Nissan). Only enhanced module that seems to work on GM is Powertrain on vehicles from 1998 - 2005. It will read codes and do basic functions on any OBD2 vehicle by selecting OBD2 Generic when connecting. Car Gauge Pro does not filter out modules that will not work for your particular vehicle. They are all there and they are all try and see.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-19-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Beginning Member

Torque: Settings/Manage Extra PIDs-sensors/click on 3 dots at top right. Then add predefined set/Pontiac-GM-Opel-Vauxhall. (this is German Software).

Car Gauge Pro: Connect/GM/Powertrain/Full Auto Scan (and complete connection). I would also save the PID scan to filename of your choice if you want to import the PIDs instead of scanning each time. Once connected and PIDs scanned you can go to Diagnostics and read the codes. If you are trying to use Car Gauge Pro on a 2006+ GM for some reason, know that it won't do GM CAN protocol for enhanced functions (and CAN protocol started 2006). Ford CAN protocol is fine, and it actually does ABS and Air Bags on Ford. Only enhanced that seems to work on GM is Powertrain from 1998 - 2005. It will read codes and do basic functions on any OBD2 vehicle.
Yeah I suppose that made almost no difference. I think for this car I'll need a specialty scanner. I don't think these Bluetooth scanners will read transmission codes. Unless I'm just not pulling any which would be a little odd. I did get a bunch of undefinable chassis codes about the abs though. I don't know if the main system is shot or it has a bad ground. I've read both. I'll see if I can fix the ground first and see if that helps anything

Old 07-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Yeah I suppose that made almost no difference. I think for this car I'll need a specialty scanner. I don't think these Bluetooth scanners will read transmission codes. Unless I'm just not pulling any which would be a little odd. I did get a bunch of undefinable chassis codes about the abs though. I don't know if the main system is shot or it has a bad ground. I've read both. I'll see if I can fix the ground first and see if that helps anything
Car Gauge Pro will read any Transmission codes that you have stored. I know it will because it read mine. I think you need to spend some time to understand how to work the different softwares. Unfortunately user guides are not available. You were able to get the BAFX adapter in 1 day? Have you tried pulling the electrical connector for the trans to definitively set codes to test the software? I have led you to the water......

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-19-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth scanner for transmission codes