Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

can somebody tell me what I've done wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
RedOne is on a distinguished road
Default can somebody tell me what I've done wrong

Today, I've decided to work a bit on my engine, I've decided to clean the Trottle body, remove the restrictor blade, clean the tps and the other sensor in the back with carb cleaner. I clean also the MAF and EGR and put everything back together. Went for a 2 min ride and everithing was working perfect. As the temperature was humid and it was raining a lot in the last week, I've decide when I got back to spray WD40 on the wires to get rid on possible water but spark plug was a bit hot so the wd40 got vaporized in smoke and I did'nt take care of it. Tonight went for a ride and engine has very hard time, don't take his gas when stomp the trottle whide open variating RPM in gear sound like the exaust is plugged, misfire a lot, I had the impression to work on 4 cylinders as i lost power

Here is my question, did you think this is the wire that I did damage while spraying wd40 when they was hot?

Can a spark plug can break out because that would be funny because they are always sprayed with cold water when it rain?

By cleaning the TPS with carb cleaner can damaged it kind of 3 hours after even if i let it dries before reinstalled it?

Or this can be simple as the computer need to be resetted with the modified trottle body?

Please Help

Please help

Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Could be several problems. Did you soak the TPS, and IAC valve completly in carb cleaner? If you got the elctrical parts wet they could be damaged. Did you mess with the screw on the IAC? If so that would be a problem.

What did you clean the MAF with? Only use MAF cleaner or it could be damaged.

Use dielectic grease to protect the boots/plugs from water. Are you sure you got the boot on securly?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Beginning Member

Didnt soak the sensors and had wait they was dried to try them.
Will also check with ELM327 and Torque app tomorrow for codes or info on the dial available.

For MAF, I've used MAF cleaner but will check tomorrow with my torque application or status but have no change on the engine plugged or unplugged

IT really seems to have no more power and is misfiring... MAF will not affect cylinder firing no?

For the plug wire, I didnt removed them just spray on it. I will unplug them and have them back in place just in case.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM

No, the maf won't cause a misfire. Are any codes coming up? I would say double check your work, it may be the computer just relearning the new fuel trim.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Cleaning TPS with choke cleaner is worse idea than using that stuff on maf.

When you hook up with elm / torque watch tps output close while depressing accel.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Beginning Member

I've done all my work backward, reclean MAF, reclean TPS with MAF stuff, reclean IAT with MAF product reinstall the restrictor back with alum rivets then, no changes...

NO code on Torque app, all trottle, maf and Vaccuum resulta are perfect.

I disassembly the ignition wire and found out 1 of the wire was dissasembled from the metal clip that insert to spark plug. reassembled it correctly and it run perfect now. will have a longer test ride tonight but after 2 miles still OK.

thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Nothin worse than trying to improve somethin and making it worse.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RedOne
I disassembly the ignition wire and found out 1 of the wire was dissasembled from the metal clip that insert to spark plug. reassembled it correctly and it run perfect now. will have a longer test ride tonight but after 2 miles still OK.
Happens quite often. Those ends are fragile; cheaper the wire set, the more fragile.