Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

lets see if someone here can tell me whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lets see if someone here can tell me whats wrong

first i have a 1994 chevy s10 blazer 4x4v6 4.3 vortech engine and it is being a pain in the butt
when i start it it will idle fine for 30 sec to a minute then it will.....burp? it will idle fine then the rpm will drop then skyrocket, it takes only about a second but the whole car shakes with it. And now it likes to stall at low speeds (lower then 10 mph) it likes to due it mostly while slowing down and wile turning sharply at slow speeds. consulted a technician and told my cheapest thing to repplace was fuel filter, and after some incredicle improvising changed it. changing it helped but not much. ran some injector cleaner threw no effect. and in case if your wondering i can here the fuel pump going when i turn the key. so will it be one of the many incredible retarded sensors? i heard these things have 3 o2 sensors, or will it be a valve? egr? pvc? i just want it to be more reliable

next my tranny is leaking, my mom had the wonderful idea to take it to a technician just to tell me it was leakingbut he also filled the fluid up cause it was empty Yikes! Unfortunatly my dad wants to change it ourselves and we know it is the rear seal going from tranny to transfer case and i beleve he said there was one in the transfer case? but i was just wondering how difficult this is going to be.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: lets see if someone here can tell me whats wrong

First I would test the fuel pressure and see what it is at at key on, idle and key off. I am thinking it may have something to do with your fuel pressure regulator inside the manifold.

Second changing out the tranni isn't that hard if you can get your blazer up in the air like if you have access to a lift and a tranni jack it would be straight forward and a couple hour job. Now if you don't have access to a lift just get it up as high as you can to be able to work on it, and its a little bit difficult to do a tranni on the ground but it can be done in a day!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Thanks for responding. i have had nightmares about that tranny. cause me and my dad fixed his ford rangers tranny and that was in lighter words a witch. second what meter or gage can ibuy to test fuel preassure i cant realy afford to take it to a technician cause he likes to charge arm and first born for little things

Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
vinniej is an unknown quantity at this point

autozone, advance, etc... have a fuel pressure test kit for about $50, but if you look on there site they have a mr gasket gauge for about $15. I looked in the stores and no one around here stocked the cheap gauge, only the more expensie kit.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM

i found the test kit but unfortunatly it was the $50 and i cant quite afford it but i got my truck back from the shop and he told me i had to replace a crap load of gaskets.he said i had to replace thegaskets in the transfer case and between the transmission and the transfer case. unfortuantly i cant find gaskets for the transfer case, and the autoparts store couldnt even find a parts# for the gasket between tranny and transfer case the technician said they sometimes just put silicon between the two surfaces. does anybody know if this is true our am i chasing imaginary gaskets.
so can anybody refer me to somewere were they specialize in gaskets?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by cleaning the EGR valve. Idle problems (after the fuel system has been tested) are indicative of a vacuum leak. A stuck open EGR valve will react much the same, but instead of allowing more combustion supporting air into the intake, it allows burnt exhaust gasses back in. When working properly, the EGR system reduces the cylinder temperatures, reducing NOx emissions and helping to control predetonation. Stalling in gear, at idle is a sign of an EGR problem.

As far as the transfer case removal goes, it isn't that big of a deal. I am assuming that the leak is at the connection between the transmission and the transfer case. while you have the transfer case out, I would replace the input seal to the transfer case just because this can be a problem and 95% of the work is already necessary to replace the gasket between the transmission and the transfer case.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM

thx for reasurring meabout the transfer case today i got a seal for the rear of the tranny. but i still cant find the gasket for between the transfer case and tranny is there such a thing or do i just by a tube of silicon? and about the egr valve i got a repair book but it contains severl models and i cant figure out were the valve is on my model(1994 v-6 4.3lvortech 4x4) i beleve it is on the front of the engine but am not sure

Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I used silicone on my transfer case and its been holding up fine.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think it is silicone now that you mention it. Just make sure that you really clean the surfaces of all oil before applying a thin coat of Ultra Black RTV.

The seal goes into the front of the transfer case, not the back of the transmission.

The EGR valve is located under the throttle body. It can be fun to get out of there... Take off what is necessary to get access.