Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

carburated swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013 | 10:05 PM
|
Beginning Member
Champ_2014 is on a distinguished road
Default carburated swap questions

I have 95 blazer and I want to drop a carburated 305 in it. I wanna know what all has to be done to get it running as of the wiring,AC & heat, gauges, transmission and ect . Can someone please tell me what all I got to do drop in a carburated v8 I don't fuel injection.

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:11 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

You will need the v8 conversion motor mounts and headers, most if not all stock exhaust manifolds wont work. If your handy with a welder you can just weld in motor mounts and not buy the conversion ones.
You can use the existing fuel lines as a supply and return for a mechanical fuel pump, you also need to drop the tank and replace the electric pump with a piece of fuel line about the same length. Not the whole assembly just the pump itself.
As for the trans, you can either use the existing 4l60e and buy a tps kit you attach to the carb. If you dont rig the tps to it the trans cant shift. OR you can get a 700r4, it falls right in, I belive they make an adapter to go from mechanical speedo to digital to keep your speedo working. I wouldn't recommend useing the existing 4l60e becasue from the factory they are a little weaker than one put behind a v8. I belive they have 1 less clutch or something like that. So it would most likely just burn up.
Then the radiator, I'm still trying to figure the best way to do it. I'm thinking of useing the factory radiator with electric fans. There is not enough room for the belt drivin fan for sure with the factory radiator. I have seen it put inside the core support and a belt drivin fan used then.

Old 04-05-2013 | 09:57 AM
|
Beginning Member
Champ_2014 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991
You will need the v8 conversion motor mounts and headers, most if not all stock exhaust manifolds wont work. If your handy with a welder you can just weld in motor mounts and not buy the conversion ones.
You can use the existing fuel lines as a supply and return for a mechanical fuel pump, you also need to drop the tank and replace the electric pump with a piece of fuel line about the same length. Not the whole assembly just the pump itself.
As for the trans, you can either use the existing 4l60e and buy a tps kit you attach to the carb. If you dont rig the tps to it the trans cant shift. OR you can get a 700r4, it falls right in, I belive they make an adapter to go from mechanical speedo to digital to keep your speedo working. I wouldn't recommend useing the existing 4l60e becasue from the factory they are a little weaker than one put behind a v8. I belive they have 1 less clutch or something like that. So it would most likely just burn up.
Then the radiator, I'm still trying to figure the best way to do it. I'm thinking of useing the factory radiator with electric fans. There is not enough room for the belt drivin fan for sure with the factory radiator. I have seen it put inside the core support and a belt drivin fan used then.

Ok im most likely doing electric fans for the few extra HP and im still a little lost on the gauges and is there any modification to the engine like cutting or welding to get the v8 to fit and will it clear the hood. And can you run dual pipes on a 4 door 2wd i heard someone say its hard to run them on these trucks.

Old 04-07-2013 | 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i did a swap into a 95 a while back. its been a while but all the gauges pretty much just work with a cut and a reconnect of the wires. they actually make a v8 swap manual that helps with these kinda questions. i had every gauge working but the speedo because i went with a th350 trans that required a cable.

also i used camaro manifolds instead of headers, those will clear the steering shaft. but again its been like 6-7 years since i did it forgot what year camaro, im sure a simple search will bring it up.

you shouldnt have to cut or weld anything, i actually smashed my firewall back just a hair due to running the engine in the back position so i could run the mechanical fan, and i ran my radiator where the condenser is

Originally Posted by Champ_2014
Ok im most likely doing electric fans for the few extra HP and im still a little lost on the gauges and is there any modification to the engine like cutting or welding to get the v8 to fit and will it clear the hood. And can you run dual pipes on a 4 door 2wd i heard someone say its hard to run them on these trucks.