Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Chugging on 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

My sister in law is a lawyer, but I'd rather not go that route if I can avoid it. Looks like it's time to go to another trans shop and hope for "good" news.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 PM

SEL came on on my way home tonight, so to Autozone I go tomorrow, and hope they can tell me what the issue is.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

i have a similar problem but mine just hesitates between 1-2 would this be a similar isssue or is this caused by something else?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:43 AM

That's exactly where mine hesitates. Could be similar. We don't know for sure it's my trans yet, I'm going to autozone in a little while to have them scan my code and see what's going on.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Autozone says my code is the dreaded P0300 random cylinder misfire.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that the P0300 code is causing a shift problem, but it could be another symptom of the underlying problem. Go through the diagnosis and you just might fix both. There are a host of problems that can cause the P0300 code. For instance, a skewed MAP sensor could cause both a misfire & a trans line pressure issue.

Do you have access to a full feature scan tool capable of displaying live data? It really would help to isolate the problem.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 AM

I do not, but have considered purchasing one. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced one?

The more I think about it, I think a misfire makes more sense than the trans. I have noticed the ride seemed more bouncy lately, but may have simply misinterpreted a bouncy ride as the engine hesitating while maintaining speed if that makes any sense.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I agree... With the RPM jump at the shift, that to me says that something isn't happening properly in the trans that wouldn't be attributed to a misfire. As I said, the misfire & the shift problem are likely two different symptoms possibly caused by the same problem.

As far as scanners capable of displaying live data... I haven't gotten too into hand held scanners, but I can do some looking. Post up some ideas if you find them and I'll take a look.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:49 AM

*Not arguing, just discussing*

From what I recall of my several trans issues over the year *sigh* if the trans was slipping, the RPMs would jump without the vehicle moving, right? In this case, the RPMs stop moving, then jump up. When the RPMs jump, so does the vehicle.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Ok, that is a bit different than I had inferred from your videos & descriptions. So there is a noticeable lull in acceleration, then a surge in acceleration, and then the shift?

Quick Reply: Chugging on 1-2 shift