Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

constant rattle / clicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Project_ZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default constant rattle / clicking

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, and forgive my lack of knowledge regarding trucks, but the drive shaft on my 1999 chevy blazer zr2 connects to the transfer case, the bar, where it connects to the case is loose, and rattles when i grab it and shake it a bit. doesnt seem right... My blazer is a 5 speed, so it makes a loud tink tink tink every time i take off out of 1st and shift to 2nd. Bothering me alot.. any help? Advice? Ideas??

Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the u-joint is bad.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 PM

okay, that is what one of my friends was telling me, but just to clarify, its the first long bar, that comes from the drive shaft, to the transfer case, and its mighty loose, makes a clink clank noise when i just fiddle with it. when i drive it makes a noisy clink clank shifting from neutral to first, first to second, the rest is fine. again, just to clarify. thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Put the tranny in neutral with the parking brake engaged... now crawl under there and check the drive shaft u-joints for excessive play. If so, then you need to replace the u-joints.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 PM

what about shaking the bar, i get a noise rattle. if i stick my head far enough up to look into where the rattling is coming from.. i think i see bearings. and they are open.. bad?thanks

I'm going to be replacing the front u joint closest to my drive shaft, as well as thr u joint connecting thr bar to the transfer case. Thanks again. Ill let you guys know how it turns out

Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member
1995 Blazer is on a distinguished road

by any chance does that truck have a hanger bearing i know mine doesnt but ive never seen the 5 speed in the newer body style if it has a two part drive shaft mabe the hanger bearing went bad

Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Not sure what "bar" you are referring to... both the front and rear drive shaft each have two u-joints. One at each end.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 PM

its the front drive shaft. i live in ottawa in Canada, and i went to a shop called Initial Tuning, and they are building me a custom drive shaft for my truck. Apparently what was going wrong, was that when i raised my truck, because i had still left on the stock front drive shaft, it was rubbing on the coupling where it connects to the transfer case. so now that its been blown out, and grease all over the housing of the coupler... i need a new one because the bearings are all rusted and jingling about because of my recent mudventure. so, all in all, ive found the problem, and getting it fixed for a really good price. 560$ for the drive shaft and all fresh u-joints, plus 80$ for the hour of service.