Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Coolant leak gone after spider install

Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Coolant leak gone after spider install

I had to take the thermostat housing and hose off in order get to the corner bolt on the upper intake,,,,,,,,,when i removed the cap i noticed that the thermostat gasket had a ripple in it and did not fit right.....so i went to look and order another thermostat and gasket and saw that the gaskets were fitted to the thermostat........I guess the last guy that opened it up was unaware of that and must have just placed the gasket without fitting it around the thermostat.....

I have had a very small coolant leak since i bought this blazer and when I did the spider job, I came real close to pulling the lower intake and doing those gaskets.....but i just didn't want to put it down that long.......[I'm gettin old, I have other more important things to do before i die ] I went and bought a new thermostat gasket, put it all back together and haven't had a drop of coolant leak since.....

I just posted this because we all figure that the leak is the original lower gaskets......sometimes maybe you get lucky...

Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by don james
I had to take the thermostat housing and hose off in order get to the corner bolt on the upper intake,,,,,,,,,when i removed the cap i noticed that the thermostat gasket had a ripple in it and did not fit right.....so i went to look and order another thermostat and gasket and saw that the gaskets were fitted to the thermostat........I guess the last guy that opened it up was unaware of that and must have just placed the gasket without fitting it around the thermostat.....

I have had a very small coolant leak since i bought this blazer and when I did the spider job, I came real close to pulling the lower intake and doing those gaskets.....but i just didn't want to put it down that long.......[I'm gettin old, I have other more important things to do before i die ] I went and bought a new thermostat gasket, put it all back together and haven't had a drop of coolant leak since.....

I just posted this because we all figure that the leak is the original lower gaskets......sometimes maybe you get lucky...

Nice, Its always a good feeling when its something simple.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road

That's for sure........You just can't see through all the crap any more to tell where a leak might be coming from.........the coolant must have been seeping from the back side where there was no place to pool .....