Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

CRACKED Head

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Beginning Member
bragdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CRACKED Head

My 1996 V6 4.3L 4x4 Chevy Blazer with 165K miles has sooooo many problems I'm not sure if it's worth it. I have a cracked head plus it needs idle arms and afuel pump. I have already put in a new alternator, belt, tires, and brakes before I found out about the cracked head. Should I just partit outand cut my losses or should I resurrect the beast?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: CRACKED Head

resurrect

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

resurrect
Seconded.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Beginning Member

Okay I found a rebuilt 4.3L V6 Vortec for $350.
I know very little about cars or engines. Is that a good price?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

wow. does it come with pistons and valves?

on a serious note...that seems very low.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have to question how you have determined that it has a cracked head...? Basically, without pulling the heads, a cracked head and a head gasket failure will react the same.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, Blazers are big money pits. However, in return you get a tough beast of a truck that has a strongtrannyand motor with lots of torque and will last, and last, and last, and last, and last,........................................

I am in need of a motor and from what i've researched so far, a rebuilt motor generally runs around the 1300-1600 range and the famous Jasper ones are like 2500 or so and up. I'd say that deal is too good to be true.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Beginning Member

You're right the deal was too good to be true. The entire engine is coming out tonight. I'm blessed to have a father in law that is a nice guy and a great mechanic. (he has rebuilt a '70 Chevelle that is just amazing). Hepulled the breather cover and thermostat off. Under the breather cover was water, none in the engine so he is thinking it is a cracked head. So we are pulling everything tonight and checking everything. While weitout we are doingeverything, hopefully I'll learn a lot aboutthe process while doing it. Then we have to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump as well. So yeah it is a money pit but I take my boys and the other Scouts camping so much I really love it.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Slow Rollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the kind words bragdog.

Has anybody ever pulled a motor only out of a 96 blazer. Trouble were having is getting to the bolts on the back of the engine that bolts the trans to the motor. I don't want to pull the trans, but think I may need to loosen the trans mount and move it forward a few inchs to make room at the firewall.
Here's my 70 Chevelle
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Chevelle1.jpg

Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Slow Rollin

Thanks for the kind words bragdog.

Has anybody ever pulled a motor only out of a 96 blazer. Trouble were having is getting to the bolts on the back of the engine that bolts the trans to the motor. I don't want to pull the trans, but think I may need to loosen the trans mount and move it forward a few inchs to make room at the firewall.
Here's my 70 Chevelle
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Chevelle1.jpg
If you can, drop the rear of the tranny a bit, so you can get a long extension up there for the last two bolts. Or, try going in from above with a wrench..... Be prepared with the iodine and bandaids though.....

Your Chevelle is gorgeous.

Quick Reply: CRACKED Head