Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cylinder MissFire

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Beginning Member
OH_VDUB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cylinder MissFire

I couple weeks ago Ibought a 96 Jimmy 4WD, two weekend ago i had the truck completely detailed from top to down. They washed my Engine and I day later my check engine light came on, I got the code readed it was the 2 cylinder miss firing. Can anyone help me to solve the problem.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cylinder MissFire

Verify your plug wire is fully seated on th plug and cap. Take the cap off and clean teh water out of it, vheck it for a crack, replace if hte contacts are black or green.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

also pull out plugs and check for damage also if the wires were moved in clean the may have touched the headers and got damaged this happened to me not to long ago

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

This may or may not be your problem but if your battery cables are only slightly loose, it will cause the ECM to send incorrect signals to the engine and cause it to misfire.

My 1991 Blazer 4.3L 4 x 4 had a slightmiss at a steady speed and it was more evident going up a slight grade withthe engineunder a greater loadwith the automatic transmissionin 4thgear. It felt just like afouled spark plug but I knew it was not that because the plugs had less than 2,000 miles on them. I was looking around under the hood and checking the new AC Delco spark plug wires,boots and connections and I just happened to notice thatthe side termainal battery connections were a little loose. I did not think that would cause a engine miss because the older 1950s and 1960s cars withloose "Spring-Ring" top terminal battery cable clamps andpoint type ignitionswouldrun perfectly well withonlyalternator output voltage and even if thebattery cables were disconnected! I tightened the side terminal cable bolts anyway and later that day I drove the Blazer...the miss was completely gone and has not returned.

The reason the battery connectionswere loose is because I told my my daughter to take the Blazer to a service station and have a new battery installed.The grease monkeythat installed the battery did not completely tighten the side terminal connections. Even the battery hold down clamp was loose. It is very likely thatthe grease monkey did that intentionally because he could make a lot of money pretending to search for amiss that he knew exactly what was causing itand all he had to do is tighten the battery cables connections. That crook does not know me very well or he would not have done that.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likely in a detailing they just got water in the plug boot. Just pull the number two and let it dry thoroughly.