Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Desperately Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Starting Member
Farrah Elkins is on a distinguished road
Default Desperately Seeking Advice

1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4.3 Vortec

I have replaced the following parts:
Fuel filter
Distributor Cap
Rotor Button
Spark Plug Wires
Crank Shaft Sensor
Cam Shaft Sensor
Ignition Control Module x2
Oxygen Sensor
Battery
Coil Pack x3
Cleaned the throttle body, Idle Air Control Valve and EGR valve
Fuel Injector cleaner x2
Had fuel pressure tested and it tested perfectly.
Fuel pumps comes on, primes and shuts off

This morning it died on me and wouldn't start back up, went and got another coil pack because I wasn't getting any fire and it ran enough to get it home. The O2 sensor had came in the mail so I went ahead and put that on as well. Now when you are driving it spits and sputters and sometimes dies. It idles at .6 which is where it has always idled and from what I have researched is where it should be for this model. The engine is quiet and it does not blow black smoke, smell like rotten eggs, the cat does not glow red, the oil and transmission fluid both look and smell normal.
I am at a complete loss on how to go any further. There are no codes showing at this point. Before changing out the coil pack again, it would just die when coming to a stop light or if you left it sitting still and running.
But 3 coil packs in about a month and a half, something has to be messing them up. Also when I had the throttle body off I could see down inside the top of the motor where the spider injectors are and it was completely black inside except for a small gold spot to the right, which from what I've read means there is a fuel leak. Can anyone please give me some ideas on where to go from here?
I'm a single mother of 5 and just can not afford to put it in the shop.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:56 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Starting starting with the usual questions...

Was it running poorly prior to replacing parts?

Were the replacement parts AC Delco?

Was a crankshaft relearn done after that sensor was replaced?

Were you told the four fuel pressure numbers that Captain Hook's test instructions ask for?

Let's start with those questions, then the smart people might chime in!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Starting Member
Farrah Elkins is on a distinguished road

1. Yes
2. No Autozone
3. I'm not sure what that means, but after replacing every sensor the battery cable was taken off for at least 30 minutes to let the CPU reset.
4. I was only told 2. The fuel pressure tested at 60 PSI then dropped 5 points like it's suppose when he did something, I can't remember now, I'm sorry.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:38 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

fuel pressure, key on engine off, 62 psi or better and not drop below 50 in 10 minutes. KEY ON ENGINE OFF!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Is inside the plenum shiny or carbon build up? Look under throttle body. Should be dirty not shiny. Shiny means leaking injectors. May be time for a spider upgrade

Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

As far as the crankshaft sensor relearn, disconnecting the battery won't cut it unfortunately. It needs to be performed with a scanner capable of performing it.

Also, the camshaft retard should be checked (nothing to reset) to make sure it is correctly positioned.

However, the vehicle should still run A LITTLE better than how you describe it to be - I would think. Even with the autozone ignition parts, it should keep running.

Just for giggles, have you tried swapping out the coil back to the first or second replacement coil after things cooled off to see if it would run?

With all the parts you have replaced, I am leaning toward a fuel system problem until proven otherwise. I would ask the person that tested your pump if they did it the way Captain Hook describes it in his sticky post. If they didn't, have them test it again. If they did, see if they wrote down the numbers anywhere.

If the pump does check out, then I would worry about the spider. Exactly how small was this clean spot on the intake manifold you noticed with the throttle body off?