Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did I just fubar my trans...again???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

No word back yet so I assume he's working on it. I'm going to call him in a bit just to make sure the truck arrived safely and all, I'll update later if there's something to note.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Just got word back from the trans shop. They believe the trans overheated. They're going to go through it tomorrow and replace what needs to be replaced, but they're recommending I pay them $145 to install an external trans cooler.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

YES, install the external cooler! but its a pretty easy job to do yourself if you have the tools, you might also think about installing an external filter as well as a trans temp gauge. After dumping 2200+ into my trans (4rth one iv'e put in it, lol) I now try to treat her real good!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM

I was absolutely considering a temp gauge actually. How difficult are those to install?

As far as the cooler, well, I'll probably have the shop install it for me so I don't have to drive an hour (each way) for them to inspect it once I get it done. Also, never heard of an external trans filter, what is that? (I know WHAT it is, just don't know anything about them, haha)

Old 06-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
I was absolutely considering a temp gauge actually. How difficult are those to install?
Assuming you have a 4L60-E you have a few options:
A. Use some 3/8id barbs and a brass T inline between your radiator and your cooler, use a brass bushing and install the 1/8npt sender in the T.
B. Install the 1/8npt temp sender in the pressure test port of the trans, its on the drivers side somewhere above the electronics/shift linkage (if I remember correctly).
C. Install the 1/8npt sender in your remote filter housing (see below).

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Also, never heard of an external trans filter, what is that? (I know WHAT it is, just don't know anything about them, haha)
It is basically a remote oil filter that is plumbed between your trans out line and you radiator, adds a quart of fluid and filters through the "push" of fluid as opposed to the "Pull" of fluid as in the way the internal filter operates. Search "perma-cool" I think.

I also have a thermostat which I plan to install so as to bypass the extra components until the radiator or transmission sufficiently warms the fluid to running temp.

NOTE: Over-cooling, under-cooling, over-filling, and under-filling of transmission fluid can kill your transmission!

This is an example of ONE type of setup, this just shows the pieces and how they CAN connect, your situation might dictate a different setup, as mine does.

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 06-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Interesting stuff for sure.

I'm definitely having the trans shop install the cooler I decided. Not worth the money saved to have to drive 2 hours (round trip, hour there and hour back) plus wait around for them to inspect the trans so I can do it myself. I'll just have them do it while they're messing with the truck anyways, and everybody is happy

Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Im glad they are going to fix it. Keep us updated.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 PM

You have no idea how happy I am about it! lol

I kind of want a 2WD now though so I don't get tempted to go mudding again and blow up the trans.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

I have driven my truck pretty hard and the transmission does great , I did have to rebuild it once and replace it once but it was my own fault . I drove through a pond and the seal around the dip stick was bad and filled the tranny with water , it still worked great but everyone told me it wouldn't last , and they were right it froze up over the winter . But I also drove this s10 blazer 60 miles one way everyday to work . I do go through quite a bit of other suspension parts though , like idler arms they suck .

Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

well ive had my last blaze for a year now. I beat the heck out of it everyday and i have yet to hav e any kind of failures knock on wood. Just a fuel pump and minor things. My trans shifts a tiny bit hard sometimes..but im happy.

Quick Reply: Did I just fubar my trans...again???