Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Dropping a starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Stever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dropping a starter

I have a 91 4.3 4x4 that I can't for the life of me get the starter out. For as long as I've been under there it seems like my best bet would be drop the front drive line and the tran lines so I can get the lower half of the housing off and get the starter out. Anyone have a simpler method?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Stever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dropping a starter

Update: I got the cover off but now im stuck with a starter floating around my compartment...

Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know it doesn't seem like it, but it can squeeze through somewhere. Removing the cover helps greatly, but it can still be a task that even the most patient person in the world gets frustrated doing. After fighting with the starter on my old S10 for hours, I finally had enough. When I was pulling myself out from under the truck, the damn thing just dropped out, literally!! Worst part is, I didn't see how it came out so I had an equally as fun time putting the new one in!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the fun of a starter in an S10.

The trick is to make sure the wires are disconnected.
Tip the back of the starter up and angle the nose of starter so the small round part is closer to the outside of the truck. Now slide it back towards the rear drivers tire. Its like 3 45 degree angles, pointing up, tilted, and general direction of travel.

I have a picture of it on another website, unfortunately that site is down at the moment and has been fro over a week. I did post the pis on this site, however I don't remember where. I seriously doubt they are in my gallery.

It is a tight fit, however it does come out, without force. Have fun and relax. Worst case scenario is to pull the passengers side motor mount bolt, jack the engine up an inch or so and slide it out.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Miget_in_japan is an unknown quantity at this point

Like the two guys mentioned Patience, gentelness and being able to think outside the box is the key(these guys have posted alot of help WTG guys)
In younger days i owned a few Japanese cars and lernd off of them. If you think you got space issues try one of those for removing a starter (members having to come out thru the top of the engine just to get the dang thing out)
Im really enjoying the space i have now with a fullsize.
NE ways back to reality. Take your time. Think of it like a wife, you got to court her b4 she will even think about giving you want YOU want LOL and if you start treating her like crap you mite as well give up and take a cold showwer b/c she will only hurt you even more
Good luck