Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Easy motor mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Starting Member
Iridium is on a distinguished road
Default Easy motor mount replacement

Hey all, new member here and although I dont own a Blazer some friends do and I spent the past week doing a lot of work on their 2000 Blazer 4wd and learned a quick and easy trick to replacing the motor mounts.

I spent a few hours messing around with them originally but could only manage to get the front upper bolt to line up enough to go in. In search of some help I lurked around here and read every thread I could find on replacing them and read the horror stories and expense people went through to get them in. After trying every trick I read on the forums I came up with my own method, sorry if its been posted before but I looked and wasnt able to find anyone who did them them the way I did. By making one super quick mod to the mount itself I was able to re-install both motor mounts in under an hr.

If you look at the before and after pictures below you'll see that I removed a small portion of the lower mounting bolts hole. This will allow you to thread the lower bolt almost all the way into the block before slipping the motor mount over the bolt. This solves 2 issues at once; the PITA lower bolt is almost threaded completely in before the mount goes on and it will hold the mount in place just enough to install the front upper bolt and then back upper bolt, then you just have to deal with torquing everything to spec, lowering the block and re-installing the cross bolts. Hopefully this will help someone else out with this horrific job!

Before cutting;

After cutting;

Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
ohiomachinist is on a distinguished road

You sir are a genius. I'm gonna go try this out.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Starting Member
Marcus Brown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Iridium
Hey all, new member here and although I dont own a Blazer some friends do and I spent the past week doing a lot of work on their 2000 Blazer 4wd and learned a quick and easy trick to replacing the motor mounts.

I spent a few hours messing around with them originally but could only manage to get the front upper bolt to line up enough to go in. In search of some help I lurked around here and read every thread I could find on replacing them and read the horror stories and expense people went through to get them in. After trying every trick I read on the forums I came up with my own method, sorry if its been posted before but I looked and wasnt able to find anyone who did them them the way I did. By making one super quick mod to the mount itself I was able to re-install both motor mounts in under an hr.

If you look at the before and after pictures below you'll see that I removed a small portion of the lower mounting bolts hole. This will allow you to thread the lower bolt almost all the way into the block before slipping the motor mount over the bolt. This solves 2 issues at once; the PITA lower bolt is almost threaded completely in before the mount goes on and it will hold the mount in place just enough to install the front upper bolt and then back upper bolt, then you just have to deal with torquing everything to spec, lowering the block and re-installing the cross bolts. Hopefully this will help someone else out with this horrific job!

Before cutting;

After cutting;
Can you post pictures

Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Marcus Brown
Can you post pictures
He might not be able to post the pictures because of being a new member. Perhaps you can add them as an attachment or send them via private message to one of the people on this thread and they could post them for the OP?

BTW, nicely done and thanks so much for sharing!

Old 09-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The pictures were originally posted to imageshack in 2012. Imageshack has since pretty much screwed all of it's free user accounts by locking up all of the images uploaded under those accounts and holding them hostage until the uploader paid to unlock them and even then, it wasn't a guarantee that the user would get all of the images back that they had uploaded.

We can only hope that the OP here will see this 7 years later, still have his original copies of the photos, and upload them to the site for us to see!

Old 09-23-2019, 03:44 AM
Starting Member
Iridium72 is on a distinguished road

Holy necro'd thread! I was unable to login to my original account but I'm the OP, unfortunately I don't have the pictures anymore as my original post was a hit n run just to let people know how I did it. iirc, I cut a slot just wide enough to fit the bolt shank through from the bolt hole all the way down through the edge of the mount, that way I could thread in the lower bolt almost all the way in without the mount being in the way, then I slid the mount in place over the pre-installed bolts then installed the upper bolts. When I originally removed the mounts I ended up using a cheap socket cut down to be just deep enough to fit the bolt head in, hope that helps