Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

"AC Delco distributor caps have aluminum terminals, (conducts electricity better than brass). Brass terminals on a distributor cap are a sign of cheap quality"

I never would have thought this ......I love reading your posts Captain , I learn something every time.

StRaNgErOcK

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, that's the idea of the forum, sharing knowledge so others can learn

Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 PM
keaau is on a distinguished road

I replaced my 4.3 litre into a 2002 Blazer. The donor engine has the EGR, but the 2002 Blazer does NOT have an EGR. No pipe from the intake, no EGR valve at front of Intake. The wiring harness has no Sensor plug to EGR. I started it yesterday for the first time and it idles rough, not super bad. RPM's increase and decrease. Engine is good with low miles. After I remove the EGR parts, pipe and plate off the intake location. Do I have to to do a cam sensor relearn? And how do I do that?

Thank you, John

Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

2002 and older were equipped with an EGR valve, (8th character of the VIN is W). 2003 and newer is not equipped with one, (8th character of the VIN is X). PCM, wiring harness, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold, are different.

Cam sensor adjustment, (not a relearn) is commonly referred to as "Camshaft Retard" or "CMP retard". If/when the distributor is moved, removed, or replaced, it MUST be adjusted with a capable scan tool.

If the timing cover and or crankshaft position sensor are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed with a capable scan tool. The crankshaft position sensor must be relearned if a different PCM is being used.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:27 AM
keaau is on a distinguished road
Smile EGR question

Thanks for your answer. Everything matches your explanation. The year on everything including title is a 2002 through. It appears it was built January 1 2002. I capped of the EGR pipe and covered the intake EGR port. Runs perfect!

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
2002 and older were equipped with an EGR valve, (8th character of the VIN is W). 2003 and newer is not equipped with one, (8th character of the VIN is X). PCM, wiring harness, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold, are different.

Cam sensor adjustment, (not a relearn) is commonly referred to as "Camshaft Retard" or "CMP retard". If/when the distributor is moved, removed, or replaced, it MUST be adjusted with a capable scan tool.

If the timing cover and or crankshaft position sensor are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed with a capable scan tool. The crankshaft position sensor must be relearned if a different PCM is being used.