Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

EGR supply line snapped- rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Catfishguy is on a distinguished road
Default EGR supply line snapped- rough idle

A couple months ago my egr line snapped. It sounded like the manifold was blowing in my ear. I patched it with muffler weld putty from O'rielly's. It worked great sound and fumes went away. Now it cracked again and has a very rough idle while sitting. Under throttle it drives smoothly. Would smashing and folding both ends of the line at the split to seal it have a harmful effect on the motor? I ask this only because I dont have the 140 bucks for a new one and also have an infant that dont need to breath in the fumes.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I follow what you're saying, you have the same issue that I had after I pulled my intake manifolds. I snapped the metal line coming from the driver's side exhaust manifold to the EGR. This fix may not be for you, but it has worked well for me. I unscrewed the supply line from the intake manifold (replacing the whole thing wouldn't be hard if you could access the exhaust manifold, but for me it's too buried) so that only the line from the exhaust manifold up to the break was remaining. I threw away the part I removed. Next, I went to home depot and bought some gas line/hose. It came with a connector with the same size/threading required to screw into the intake manifold. The hose size was a little bit larger than that of the EGR supply line, so after I bent the oval shaped supply line into a more circle shape, I simply put the supply line into the gas line. I also put a copper connector piece over the part where the two meet, and covered the whole thing with muffler tape and sealant. I didn't know whether the gas line would stand up to the temperature. Frankly, I didn't think it would, because it was just a supply line, not made for the temperatures of an engine exhaust. However, it has been over a year and it still works fine.

If I were you, I would also clean up the EGR pintle. Also, if you choose to go the route that I went, know that if some of the sealant breaks free and gets into the egr valve, it will cause it to be stuck open and you'll have to clean it out. Happened to me once. Just had to pull the EGR and clean with a wire brush.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=iamchevyman5;609103]If I follow what you're saying, you have the same issue that I had after I pulled my intake manifolds. I snapped the metal line coming from the driver's side exhaust manifold to the EGR. This fix may not be for you, but it has worked well for me. I unscrewed the supply line from the intake manifold (replacing the whole thing wouldn't be hard if you could access the exhaust manifold, but for me it's too buried) so that only the line from the exhaust manifold up to the break was remaining. I threw away the part I removed. Next, I went to home depot and bought some gas line/hose. It came with a connector with the same size/threading required to screw into the intake manifold. The hose size was a little bit larger than that of the EGR supply line, so after I bent the oval shaped supply line into a more circle shape, I simply put the supply line into the gas line. I also put a copper connector piece over the part where the two meet, and covered the whole thing with muffler tape and sealant. I didn't know whether the gas line would stand up to the temperature. Frankly, I didn't think it would, because it was just a supply line, not made for the temperatures of an engine exhaust. However, it has been over a year and it still works fine.

If I were you, I would also clean up the EGR pintle. Also, if you choose to go the route that I went, know that if some of the sealant breaks free and gets into the egr valve, it will cause it to be stuck open and you'll have to clean it out. Happened to me once. Just had to pull the EGR and clean with a wire brush.[/ QUOTE]

Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=iamchevyman5;609103]If I follow what you're saying, you have the same issue that I had after I pulled my intake manifolds. I snapped the metal line coming from the driver's side exhaust manifold to the EGR. This fix may not be for you, but it has worked well for me. I unscrewed the supply line from the intake manifold (replacing the whole thing wouldn't be hard if you could access the exhaust manifold, but for me it's too buried) so that only the line from the exhaust manifold up to the break was remaining. I threw away the part I removed. Next, I went to home depot and bought some gas line/hose. It came with a connector with the same size/threading required to screw into the intake manifold. The hose size was a little bit larger than that of the EGR supply line, so after I bent the oval shaped supply line into a more circle shape, I simply put the supply line into the gas line. I also put a copper connector piece over the part where the two meet, and covered the whole thing with muffler tape and sealant. I didn't know whether the gas line would stand up to the temperature. Frankly, I didn't think it would, because it was just a supply line, not made for the temperatures of an engine exhaust. However, it has been over a year and it still works fine.

If I were you, I would also clean up the EGR pintle. Also, if you choose to go the route that I went, know that if some of the sealant breaks free and gets into the egr valve, it will cause it to be stuck open and you'll have to clean it out. Happened to me once. Just had to pull the EGR and clean with a wire brush.[/ QUOTE]

Ill have to try that...How much stuff did you have to remove to put this on?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Beginning Member
corne is on a distinguished road

hi guys!!!! tell me can this fualty egr cause bad fuel consumtion???

Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catfishguy
Ill have to try that...How much stuff did you have to remove to put this on?
I honestly don't remember. I did it when I was replacing my upper and lower intake gaskets. But, I think by the time I repaired the EGR, the intakes were back assembled. I think I had the airbox and throttle body assembly disconnected.
The gas connector line I used was something like this. Notice how it has screw connectors on either end. The Male end I screwed directly into the threads on the manifold. I cut the female end off the gas line and fitted the line over the broken EGR tube and then did my best to seal it.
Google Image Result for http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/27961/2628303014?src=http%3A%2F%2Fi1272.photobucket.com% 2Falbums%2Fy389%2Ftoyradio01%2F1011-02_zps69a2ca8f.jpg&d=0285a279f777d6c1e176415142128 42d50d95c26