Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine knock and gas in oil

Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
zr2 life is on a distinguished road
Exclamation engine knock and gas in oil

hello people.i recently (about 2weeks)have been driving my blazer on the freeway(which i didnt before )due to a new job.basically the blazer was fine and with no warning signs began to violently shake on idle.first when it happened the zr2 couldnt hold the idle when a gave gas and would die out.sfter a couple of minutes it holds the idle with a mean shaking and then once in a while a super shake.the zr2 began to smell like a gas combo of oil.someone told me lift your oil cap off and if smells like gas then you have trouble .it smells like gas for sure.so my question is :i plan to take it to chevy for diagnosis tommorow but have no idea what cost range im in for repairs...what are the possible problems?and about how much should i look to spend.i need my zr2 for work asap but todays sunday i cant make any moves to fix because dealers closed and need to find something out now or a.s.a.p.so people im ,looking to find out whats the actual problem and price range.thank you for any info i recieve....by the way it began to shake and stink when i was in the 99 cent store parking lot.i jumped in my zr2 and when i started it ,it began to shake, absolutely no warning signs previous to parking it.i was able to driving it home less than 2miles 2 my home.havent drove it since....mayday mayday...zr2 down zr2down...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would guess either its the spider assembly or the fuel pressure regulator, Search fuel pressure test and leak down test on here, to figure out how to test to see if there is a leak.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

if its actually knocking,its time for a engine. the gas has done its evil and killed it. replace engine with new spider setup.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
if its actually knocking,its time for a engine. the gas has done its evil and killed it. replace engine with new spider setup.
True, I overlooked that part LOL

Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What year ZR2?
Does the SES light come on and turn off with the bulb check?
Does the SES light come on, flash, or stay on while driving?
Are there any DTC's, (trouble codes) in memory?
If so, what are they?
Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM

lets see. when my zr idles it shakes very roughly.this is what i am calling knocking .im far from knowing the specific names but thats the knocking i refer to.i couldnt drive it over 20 mph.i slowly drove home with a constant shaking /misfiring feel.my inside smells like gas mixed with something so it came thru my vents.my zr is a 2001 and the SES does come on and stays fixed not on off.i dont know what DTC;S are and i checked on this site under fuel pressure tests and every one stated that the car doesnt turn on .i dont have this problem.what exactly is a spider set up and is that different from the replacing the engine.all i really know is gas smell under the oil cap is very permanent damage ...i think.please keep posting .and is shaking hard at idle considered knocking?and this problem literally occured with no warning meaning its been so smooth driving the moments before sowhats that mean as well?is it permanent or less due to immediate shift in working fine to this hard shake and misfiring ...thanks i will answer back to ...

Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Basically it means things were working.... until something broke, that's usually the way it goes The symptoms you're describing help, but we need some actual data to help you diagnose the actual problem, DTC's, fuel pressure, etc. Magic wands, Ouija boards, fairy dust & crystal ***** don't work on these newer vehicles Most auto parts stores will retrieve the DTC's free of charge, post them here in the order they are retrieved. They also rent/sell/loan fuel pressure testers and we can explain how to use it.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 PM

retrieving the DTC,S is that something i have to bring the zr in to connect 2 or can it be done on phone or without the zr.i will try it immediately.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM

You must take it to someone with a scan tool to retrieve the codes. Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly, etc will retrieve the codes for you. Write them down and post them here.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 PM

well the zr is undrivable so i just wait till tommorow to dropit off at dealer and get those things .but i have been going thru the old reciepts of my zr and there is one of a couple codes listed under warranty that were fixed. one was (po300 #6injector)and one says replaced and programmed new pcm (electric failure of pcm).under warranty.i dont know.i have all records of my zr.