Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine removal 4.3L automatic 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

i take out the top 2 bolts from under the hood and the next 2 down with a wrench, Then the rest with a 14mm socket. i leave the trans in the stock location, y pipe on the cat, driveshafts everything. im in the middle of doing 1 right now dropping in the new motor in about a hour. under the truck there are 2 little tin heat shields on the p/s d/s i rip those off and it gives you all the room you need for those bolts This has worked for me a bunch of times

Last edited by LowLife; 02-01-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Starting Member
mamal is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Originally Posted by R Deschamps
What's the easiest way to remove the engine on a 98 Chevy Blazer 4.3L auto 4x4?
I have a 1998 blazer I would like to know how to remove the engine since the bolt are close to firewall there is no room

Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

top three bolts???

they're grouped in pairs.
and how does removing the motor mounts (which is a RPITA initself) make it any easier-or less work- compared to dropping the t-case to gain access?

i don't know, maybe it's me, but it seems like sometimes there are a few members that go beyond their means, to make it a more difficult process than necessary.

Im wrong there is only 2 bolts on the top of the bellhousing on these trucks... its the LS1 bellhousings that have an extra bolt in the center. either way, I found it easiest to remove those bolts from the top and then get the bolts on the side with a few long extensions. there was one bolt i couldn't really get at with an extension on the driver side, so i pulled the motor mount (had to come out anyways). That lowered the engine enough to gain access. I didn't touch the transmission cross member or t-case anything.

I didnt think i was making any extra work for myself...

Last edited by KM346; 11-05-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM
mark7614 is on a distinguished road

On my 95 blazer I lifted the body and could get access to the top two bolts from the sides (remove wheel well liner). Broke them loose with a box end wrench then got a ratcheting box end on to complete removal.

At first I was intimidated at the body lift but it turned out to not be too difficult. Remove all the body mounting bolts except the rear two and loosen those two up. Put an hydraulic jack next to the body mounts just to the rear of the wheel wells and lift away. I got more than 4 inches of lift which was relatively roomy (i.e. not impossibly close) for removing those bolts. Had to disconnect the front bumper mounts so that the front could lift further.

I never tried the "drop the trans" answer. Maybe that's actually easier but this wasn't too bad-- mostly delayed by attempting to get by without disconnecting all the body mounts.

I am sure the original poster has finished this by now but who knows who else is looking at this problem.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
wjm1015 is on a distinguished road

I just did my 2000 blazer rebuild as well, personally I know how the tranny bell bolts suck. I cut a 2 inch hole in my floor board, removed the bolt and pop riveted a new piece of sheet metal over the hole, sealed with foam to make sure no leaks, way easier!!!