Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine swap 2000 S10 to 1996 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 PM
DP Livingston is on a distinguished road
Default Engine swap 2000 S10 to 1996 Jimmy

Greeting to all from East Central Hellinois! I just bought a 1996 Jimmy 4x4 with 130,000 on a knocking motor. I salvaged a 4.3 out of a rolled 2000 S10 with 105,000. My intention was to do a simple swap however in doing some reading and a little research I've found things differ a little between them like the 2 engines have different part numbers for the GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Purge Valves that apparently are not interchangeable and the oil pans drain from different locations etc.... Nothing horribly different but enough to concern me. If I install this 2000 and hook everything up is the 1996 ecm going to struggle with mismatched sensors.... so .... opinions please ....... should I put the 1996 intake head on the 2000 engine and use the 1996 sensors? Should I install the 2000 engine and install the 1996 sensors in it? I salvaged nearly everything I could from the 2000 including the wiring harness, ecm and a couple other things. I'm only doing this once and intend on installing all new sensors regardless of what engine combo goes in.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DP Livingston
Greeting to all from East Central Hellinois! I just bought a 1996 Jimmy 4x4 with 130,000 on a knocking motor. I salvaged a 4.3 out of a rolled 2000 S10 with 105,000. My intention was to do a simple swap however in doing some reading and a little research I've found things differ a little between them like the 2 engines have different part numbers for the GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Purge Valves that apparently are not interchangeable and the oil pans drain from different locations etc.... Nothing horribly different but enough to concern me. If I install this 2000 and hook everything up is the 1996 ecm going to struggle with mismatched sensors.... so .... opinions please ....... should I put the 1996 intake head on the 2000 engine and use the 1996 sensors? Should I install the 2000 engine and install the 1996 sensors in it? I salvaged nearly everything I could from the 2000 including the wiring harness, ecm and a couple other things. I'm only doing this once and intend on installing all new sensors regardless of what engine combo goes in.
use all 1996 parts and manifolds and oil pan on the 2000 long block

Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Thank you for answering. . . . . much appreciated

Old 10-20-2019, 06:44 PM

Thank you for answering. . . . . much appreciated
No problem. Don't forget to change oil pump pickup if it is different. Everything will be exactly as it should if you switch all the stuff over to the new motor. Just use the long block on the 2000. You really want to replace those intake gaskets anyways since coolant in the oil from leaky intake is why these engines tend to chew up their bearings. Use the Felpro metal/rubber gasket set. Yes it's expensive. If one of the engines already has the upgraded injection spider (electrical wires going along side the tubes), those are the ones to use. If not this would be a great time to upgrade. Know that you will need to have a crank sensor relearn done after all is said and done (and running), as SES light will undoubtedly be on for P030x codes.

Let us know if you need help with the engine R&R. It's a pretty tricky one on a 4x4. Also review threads on this site regarding intake manifold gasket replacement. Get an inch pound torque wrench (think harbor freight). Torque, clean bolts, clean bolt hole threads, and sealer are critical.

Just use all your 1996 sensors - why change a good part.

Good luck! We have lots of people who can help. so ask......

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-20-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:48 PM

I was considering the higher volume oil pump while I've got the engine out and apart...additionally I'm wanting to check the rod bearing clearances on the 2000 donor engine. I'm having trouble finding the clearance specs with google and my Haynes hasnt arrived yet. Your thoughts on the higher volume oil pump?

Old 10-20-2019, 07:53 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

A soft sided Haynes manual isn't worth the money you spent, soft sided Chiltons isn't much better - full of miss prints and wrong info - don't believe what you read.
A high volume oil pump can wash out the bearings - if replacing the pump IMO go with a stock style .....

Last edited by odat; 10-20-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:23 PM

High volume pumps will spend more time at max pressure. This tends to wear distributor gears. Stock pump is best for stock engine. As far as bearing clearance... Anything under 0.0025 will be fine. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and checking things can damage them!! If it doesn't knock I would just change the oil pump, oil pickup, and pan. If you want to spot check one bearing, check #1. It's the furthest away from the pump.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Thank you Les & Odat .... I'll install a stock Melling pump then. If the Haynes is worthless then what manual (paper or digital) would either of you recommend. The problem with the engine is I'm having to take someones word on it. I've not heard it run. The issue with the 96 engine is it ticks at idle and then a slight knock revved and after the oil warms up the pressure falls way off. Additionally, sitting in my basement is a Jasper 4.3L. In June of 2008 the engine on my wife's 1997 Blazer blew. I paid a local shop to put in a Jasper reman and ran great. She drove it until February 2009 when she rolled it on black ice. I pulled the engine and it has been sitting on an engine stand since. I turned the motor over once in a great while but admittedly have not in probably 5 years now. Would that be the engine to consider? Not a lot of really indepth videos out there that I can find so I greatly appreciate all your input.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM

Thank you Les & Odat .... I'll install a stock Melling pump then. If the Haynes is worthless then what manual (paper or digital) would either of you recommend. The problem with the engine is I'm having to take someones word on it. I've not heard it run. The issue with the 96 engine is it ticks at idle and then a slight knock revved and after the oil warms up the pressure falls way off. Additionally, sitting in my basement is a Jasper 4.3L. In June of 2008 the engine on my wife's 1997 Blazer blew. I paid a local shop to put in a Jasper reman and ran great. She drove it until February 2009 when she rolled it on black ice. I pulled the engine and it has been sitting on an engine stand since. I turned the motor over once in a great while but admittedly have not in probably 5 years now. Would that be the engine to consider? Not a lot of really indepth videos out there that I can find so I greatly appreciate all your input.
Either a set of factory manuals off ebay, or a subscription to alldatadiy.com will get you good info. Seems the 1997 Jasper engine would be the one to use if it still turns over nice - again, switch any 1996 stuff that is different onto it. I think 1996-1997 manifolds are the same but you will need to look. If it came out of a 4WD, just leave the oil pan on and stuff it in.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Either a set of factory manuals off ebay, or a subscription to alldatadiy.com will get you good info. Seems the 1997 Jasper engine would be the one to use if it still turns over nice - again, switch any 1996 stuff that is different onto it. I think 1996-1997 manifolds are the same but you will need to look. If it came out of a 4WD, just leave the oil pan on and stuff it in.
Your response gave me more peace of mind on this. I'll look into the alldatagiy.com .... thank you for sharing your knowledge!