Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine wont come out

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
nitro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine wont come out

Alright guys I have been working all afternoon on getting my knockin 4.3 out of my 96 Jimmy 4WD everything is loose as far as I can tell but the engine will not separate from the bell housing.

Exhaust Y Pipe Loose - Check
8 Transmission bolts removed - Check
3 Torque Converter Bolts Removed - Check
Transmission cross member removed - Check
All wires and everything else I can see removed - Check

I have tried multiple angles of pulling and nothing yet. All I seem to accomplish is getting the entire truck off of the ground. I was able to see what appeared to be a small gap between the bottom of the tranny and the engine. I think it is just getting hung on the dowel pins. I have rocked the engine stood on the engine and rocked it and nothing.

Looking for any clues or advice.

Thanks,
Clint

Last edited by nitro7; 01-02-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Changed the 6 transmission bolts to proper 8
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you need to loosen the trans crossmember and slid the tranny back some people even have to completly remove the trans as the oil pan is hanging up on the front diff.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive me if this offends. motor mounts? I swapped mine last winter. Sucked for sure. Had a heck of a time with the upper bell housing drivers side.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by samuknow
Forgive me if this offends. motor mounts?
No offense at all mounts are off everything is loose the engine comes up a bit before lifting the truck all the way off the ground.

Sometimes you need to loosen the trans crossmember and slid the tranny back some people even have to completly remove the trans as the oil pan is hanging up on the front diff.
My wife noticed this last night that the oil pan was hitting the front diff. So that seems to be the problem.

Been wanting to replace the body bushings so may be the perfect time to do it and lift the body up and see if I can get the clearance I need.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

you have to get the tranny back a few inches it is hung up between the front diff and the dowl pins get that tranny back a few it will come right out

Old 01-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member

Here we are another week later and still not out. Granted I have not had the time the past week to really mess with it.

I just came in from the shop after pulling the rear drive shaft (front was already out) and I can not get the damn tranny to dislodge from the engine to save my life.

I even tied a tow rope around the rear of the tranny and hooked it to my Yukon and slowly tried to pull back. All I did was spin my Yukon tires in the snow. Everything tells my gut that there is something I missed unhooking to get the tranny pulled back, but I can not find anything.

Please anyone with any ideas.

I used to pull engines out of F Bodies and J Bodies all the time with no problems, I am feeling really inept at this point.

Thanks,
Clint

Update: Its out, I went back out there and did nothing different, but the tranny disconnected from the dowel pins and out she came with no problems.

Lesson learned form this: Patience!

To the guy who PMed me about this, once the tranny is disconnected from the dowel pins, your oil pan will clear the front diff with no problems.

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-10-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS