Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

First startup.....nasty noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
Numbchux is on a distinguished road
Default First startup.....nasty noise

Background: Putting a CPFI 4.3/4L60 combo from a '92 S-10 Blazer in my Toyota 4Runner.

It's been about 2 years since this motor has been run. 1.5 since it came out of the blazer. Finally had time to get things put together, and turn the key. Had the ignition disconnected to prime things a bit since it hasn't been run in so long, and the transmission is virtually dry.

Anyway, turned it over by hand, and all is well. compression, but no noise or weird resistance.

Turn the key, and the starter engages. I can see the accessory belt spin. But it makes an aweful sound. A lot like a starter gear grinding (you know the sound. Usually followed by something like, "Crap, it was already running").

I'm thinking it has to be the starter, since it doesn't make any noise when it's turned over by hand. But I've never heard a functioning starter make this noise.

Thoughts? Does this sound like it could be the starter? Best way to fix it?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the starter bendix may not be properly retracting the starter drive gear & it is grinding against the flex plate. This can sometimes happen if the starter isn't shimmed correctly, but still has enough clearance to engage.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Sounds like the starter bendix may not be properly retracting the starter drive gear & it is grinding against the flex plate. This can sometimes happen if the starter isn't shimmed correctly, but still has enough clearance to engage.
The noise only happens when the starter is engaged. So I think it is retracting properly...I have not hooked up the ignition system and let the motor actually fire yet.

My current issue, is I can't seem to find how to get the gear to engage the flex plate to measure the mesh. Numerous manuals say something about an access hole to push the pinion out to contact the flex plate, but I haven't been able to find it. the location of the toyota front diff directly under the starter is making it very difficult to see what I'm doing.

I swear there wasn't a shim in there when I took everything apart...but I could be wrong. So I spent the $5 on a set of shims, and blindly installed the middle-sized one. No change.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

For future reference. New starter arrived (staggered mount SBC mini starter from ebay) last week, finally had time to install it today. Noise is gone.