Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fresh Rebuild 1996

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member
nemesisinfinity is on a distinguished road

Id prefer to keep it all in same thread also lol

Car Gauge Pro reads her car, but the light comes and goes for abs, and it may have been a coincidence but last time it was on and i got the reader hooked up the light shut off and said no codes........Ill try it with the blazer later.........wait wait i was trying Ford Sys Scan app....mbill try Car Gauge Pro tonight

I am getting the error from the scanner, its under pending codes i think it said? perhaps i should stop erasing it and it would kick on the light? I wasnt sure if the "timing" issue i was having was causing it
Ill get a screenshot of the codes next time

so with a high trim % means im having to add extra fuel? I might as well add....a while back the tip connecting to my hood mounted vac canister broke, and i just plugged the line....

Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Yeah, some things need to have a problem in multiple consecutive key cycles for the SES light to come on. Prevents minor things from turning on the SES light needlessly. Let the pending codes go to full code if they will. Let's see if that might be your problem. FWIW, what was the code number that was pending.

Plugging the line to your vac canister should fix any leaks - just no vacuum reserve. I assume your heater controls work and you can switch modes.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member
nemesisinfinity is on a distinguished road

I plugged it long b4 the engine swap lol
I watched my trim levels and it's high but long and short do fluctuate and stay close together at least

I'll pop back here if I get any more actual full codes then and see how she goes

The "sputter" it sometimes has on takeoff or when I'm in gear w/brake pressed @idle still makese nervous but not died yet so

I found some O2 sensors for 20$, i have an old one from donor car, but idk if i wanna use a old one

UPDATE:
finally kicked out SES light....
P0135, P0147, and P0171

Last edited by nemesisinfinity; 04-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by nemesisinfinity
I plugged it long b4 the engine swap lol
I watched my trim levels and it's high but long and short do fluctuate and stay close together at least

I'll pop back here if I get any more actual full codes then and see how she goes

The "sputter" it sometimes has on takeoff or when I'm in gear w/brake pressed @idle still makese nervous but not died yet so

I found some O2 sensors for 20$, i have an old one from donor car, but idk if i wanna use a old one

UPDATE:
finally kicked out SES light....
P0135, P0147, and P0171
Sorry, didn't see your update because the forum only sends email notice when a new entry is made (not when same post is updated).

So P0135 is Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor heater
P0147 is Bank 1 Sensor 3 O2 sensor heater in some vehicles (this would be a post-cat sensor). Strange I think that post cat would be Bank 1 Sensor 2. Are you sure about the P0147?
P0171 is Lean O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1.

There is a simple test here https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-26610/ where you watch the voltage on the O2 sensor with the scan tool as it warms up from a cold vehicle (vehicle off > 0.5 hours). Note that its important to display voltage as soon as possible after turning the key on so I would have Dash Command open, pre-configured to display all the O2 sensors, and ready to connect when you turn the key on. The voltage is supposed to change more than 150mv as it heats up over a couple of minutes. Also you can compare responses of the different O2 sensors - theoretically they should all heat the same in the same time. If not there are electrical circuits to check and also possibly O2 sensor is bad. However, I think it's doubtful that more than one O2 sensor itself has the same problem. Maybe wiring harness or connector at the PCM problem? See diagnostic chart in link. I think the P0171 is an artifact of the P0135 problem. Lets work on P0135 and see if the other two problems go away. Code numbers are designed by factory for you to work on the lowest number first for this exact reason.

If you find that a sensor is not warming up, you could possibly use the spare used sensor to see if the sensor itself is really the problem with the heater. Just plug it into the harness - no need to mount it.

I would configure Dash Command to display O2 Sensor voltage on any O2 sensor it makes available to you. That would certainly catch them all, even if you have 4 O2 sensors. You could monitor them while running, to see what you actually have ahead of time and set up for those. If B1S3 is not available on Dash Command as a choice for your vehicle, then you don't have it.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Oops, I do see in the wiring schematic for P0135 that O2 sensor Bank1Sensor 3 is there as the post-cat sensor. so whatever is causing problem with B1S1 is probably causing the same problem with B1S3. How about melted or otherwise damaged wiring underneath the vehicle?