Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Front seal oil leak; Can I use an external sealant to plug it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020 | 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Don't jump straight to the rear main right away. The very back of the lower intake manifold gasket where it meats the block on the 4.3 has a tendency to spring a leak, run down the back of the block, and give the illusion of a rear main seal gone bad. Not saying that's what it is for sure in your case, but it would not be the first time.
This is also a definite possibility.

Old 06-21-2020 | 12:11 AM
|
Starting Member
RedValor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up.
I spawned another thread that's on topic for that.

So, loose oil pan bolts, you say?
I think I know what caused that. I've been also trying to fix a this shaking problem my Blazer has at highway speeds. I just put new shocks on a few days ago, and I'm scheduled for new tires too. Hopefully that will resolve the shaking.

Can that lower intake manifold also spring a leak from excessive vibration?

Old 06-21-2020 | 01:37 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RedValor
Thanks for the heads up.
I spawned another thread that's on topic for that.

Can that lower intake manifold also spring a leak from excessive vibration?
I would doubt vibration could cause a leak in the lower intake manifold. If there was a leak there you'd have bigger problems with vacuum leaks and coolant leaks.

Old 06-21-2020 | 07:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christine_208
I think it was Error_401 who said it took him a couple tries by him to keep the nuts in place. If I remember correctly he had to try to get the studs super clean and then used thread locker on them.
I went through this a few times on my old Bravada. Ended up cleaning the holes and bolts/studs with brake clean then using medium strength thread locker on them to fix it permanently.

A leaking rear main seal will coat the front of the flex plate. If there is no oil on the flex plate, then it very well could be leaking at the pan. The newer trucks have an o-ring style seal on the pan and it can be snugged up without replacing the gasket providing there isn't any junk between the pan & the block.