Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel Problems in a 97

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM
hunden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Problems in a 97

So my 97 won't start, checked the pump and changed the fuel filter, they both are fine, I changed the TPS out aswell, still won't run, I can get it to start if I dump fuel into the throttle body, but it dies right away?? HELP.. It just died one day, no codes or anything. Please Help..

Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel Problems in a 97

So your fuel pump is running? Have you verified the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure test port? It should be 55-60psi with the engine off, just primed.

If you can get it to run by dumping fuel down the throttlebody, then you have air and spark... So it sounds like a fuel related issue.

Have you checked all of the fuses and swapped the fuel pump relay with another relay of its kind?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:31 PM
hunden is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responce, I have verified fuel pressure to the filter, but have no way to test it anywhere else. We did replace the relay and checked fuses, but the pump is working so that shouldn't matter. It is definately a fuel problem, I just wish I could figure out where it is LOL. I know the 97's had some ignition wireing problems, maybe it has something to do with that???

Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you verified flow at the filter, pressure is entirely different. A pump may be able to flow an incredible amount of fuel at zero pressure, but if it cannot deliver 55-60psi of pressure to the fuel injectors, things won't work correctly.

I recommend that you either find someone that has access to a fuel pressure gauge or purchase one yourself. Test the pressure at the fuel pressure test port behind the throttle body.