Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

fuel pump replacement the easy way ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:59 PM
TrainChaser22 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump replacement the easy way ?

Hi I have a 99 2door blazer I think I'm gonna have to replace my fuel pump again the first time I took it to the shop mainly because I was worried about the re wire you have to do because the new fuel pumps have different connectors but this time I wanna try and do it myself and I have seen some YouTube videos and heard that you can just cut a hole in the floor of the blazer instead of dropping the tank and I was just wondering if anybody on this forum has ever done it that way and any advice they might have if I go that route and also if anybody thinks its a bad idea and I should just do it the right way

Attached Thumbnails fuel pump replacement the easy way ?-img_20131222_192910.jpg  
Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I don't understand cutting a hole when the tank is pretty much out in the open. One of my cars requires the rearend to be removed in order to drop the tank. You can do it if you want but I'm guessing you'll spend more time trying to get the hole in the right place than to just drop the tank. Not to mention you have to put the piece you cut out back in and keep it there.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Just drop the tank. If the pump still runs at all, disconnect the pressure side, and route it to a suitable container. Energize the pump, on a 99 I think there is a port on the fuseblock? you can supply 12v, to run the pump.

Once the tank is completely empty, it's a breeze to handle, Two straps, four bolts, and it's out. I can have the pump changed in little over an hour.

If you cut the floor, assuming you get the hole in the right spot, you have the problem of a huge hole in the back floor! Maybe you could get a hinge, or weld it back, but you could have dropped the tank three times by then!

And really, if you go back with a delphi or delco pump, it should be a good long time before you need to do it again.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive cut the hole in a few of my trucks so far, as long as you have a older truck you dont care about i think its a great feature. especailly if its very rusty and dont want to break any of the hard lines.

hardest part is trying to guess where the hole goes. i would just drill a small hole where you guestimate one of the corners is going to be and leave the drill bit through the floor and go underneath and look through the wheel well to see it. and of course dont drill or cut into the tank

kind of a great mod cause if your pump goes out 2 years later you just pop the panel back off and its right there, most foreign cars have a access panel, wish all did

Old 02-15-2014, 09:47 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Takes me an hour + a little to change a pump, the old fashioned way. Would take multiple hours this way. And then because you did all that you wont have to change the pump ever again

Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM
cballard8 is on a distinguished road

Dont cut a hole. Take out the spare tire, jack up the back end and pull the tank. Two straps 4 bolts. Drop the tank a few inches to unhook the fuel lines, electrical connections and the filler hose then finish dropping the tank. Reverse the steps to reinstall the tank. This job wont take more than an hour or two