Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

gear not alinging with shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Beginning Member
wannabelifted is on a distinguished road
Default gear not alinging with shifter

has anyone had this happen to them, 93 blazer 4wd when the shift say its in park its actully between reverse and park. how do i go about fixing this so im in the proper gear that is selected? thanx

Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

You can adjust the the shifter position at the transmission. There are a couple threads on here about how to do it.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Beginning Member

ohk, not to sure what to search under, think u can point me in the rite direction? thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Here you go!

SHIFT CABLE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE 1. Ensure that the shift cable is not restricted. 2. Place the steering column shift leverinto the neutral position. 3. Position the shift cable to assume a natural routing. The shift cable must be free to move 20.0 mm (0.80 inch) axially during the adjustment under adjustment spring loads. 4. Pull the cable end completely forward and release it. (when the cable is pulled completely forward and released, the adjustment spring will position the cable to its most rearward position.) 5. Connect the end of the shift cable to the transmission shift lever stud ball.

NOTICE: Do not pull the shift cable end forward of the transmission shift lever stud ball during installation. Pulling the shift cable end forward of the transmission shift leverballstud beforeinstalling the shift cable end to the transmission shift leverballstud will result in a poor adjustment.

6. Press the locking tab IN in order to secure the shift cable to the transmission bracket. 7. If the vehicle is equiped with a transfer case, install the bolt and washer securing the clip and the shift cable to the transfer case. 8. Install the grommet to the hole in the floor panel. 9. Install the three shift cable clips to the body.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is just the indicator and not the actual shifter itself, then the park/neutral position switch may need to be adjusted. That is independent of the shift cable adjustment.

I run through both in this thread: gear shift linkage
Found using the search term "shift+cable+adjustment" with an author of "swartlkk"

The procedure posted above was also copied from a post I made way back in 2008.

Search is a wonderful tool!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Haha I used a search to find your search terms to find what I posted above! I tried to quote it so you got credit but the thread was closed and it was easier to copy and paste that part on my cell lol.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member

ohk, thanks all

Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a write up I did when I replaced my shifter cable a while back that may help you identify parts since I took pics as I did it!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member

think that is gonna be easy, thnks to everyone that helped. i love this site, so much usful info

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Your welcome Thats why I love this forum I use it to fix, learn, trouble shoot, or just plain entertain myself every single day!!

Quick Reply: gear not alinging with shifter