Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hard start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member
BlazerHeadaches is on a distinguished road
Default Hard start

I'm new to forum and just want to say thank you all for the wealth of info! I have a 97 blazer that's been giving me hard start problems when cold. It also dips in RPM but goes back up when put in gear. Scanner reads 590 600 RPM at idle. Things I've done: a delco cap rotor wires plugs, this made a huge difference btw. Oil change ect. Also new ignition control modul, PCV and new vacuum hoses. My fuel pressure KOEO read 61 leak down ten minutes read 60. Seems to be normal. I have ran a can of sea foam through throttle body as well I got a noticeable change in throttle response from this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time
Shane

Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member

Also noticed that my idle dips when turn or use Any accessories like heat ac and turning my steering wheel. Please help!! I'm not a mechanic and I'm lost. Thanks again
Shane

Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor and/or the EGR valve? Both are covered in the Tech Article section and can be done with a minimal investment in both time and money.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for your reply. MAF was cleaned EGR No. I will clean it up and post results. Was wondering if IAC maybe acting up as sometimes I put it in reverse and it stalls out. Thanks again
Shane

Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Beginning Member

So I have cleaned EGR valve and replaced gasket. It was pretty dirty I was going to post before and after pics but I'm unsure how to go about this lol. I will let her sit while at work and see if I get a better start. Thanks again swart!
Shane

Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Beginning Member

So that was a no go still won't start on first crank.😡 I did however I noticed that my brake light in dash cluster doesn't come on until after first cycle of the key. As soon as light comes on it starts this could mean nothing of course but thought I would mention it. Any ideas where I should go from here? Thank you for your time.
Shane

Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE: 97 blazer LS 4x4 4.3 has a hard time starting as mentioned but I did not mention after hard acceleration it bogs down and looses power then will smooth out. things I have done- cap rotor wires plugs (delco) PCV valve and hose. Vacuum hoses cleaned MAF and EGR.new Ignition control module. Fuel system cleaner 2 bottles.one can sea foam through throttle body. Fuel pressure test Key on engine off 61 leak down after 10 minutes 60. Compression test all between 185-190. New air filter and oil change.I really don't want to take it to a garage I love my blazer and enjoy working on it myslef plus its cheaper but this is driving me mad!!!! If anyone has anymore ideas please throw them my way. Thanks in advance.
Shane

Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

Hard start issue still going on when cold. Seems to be intermittent. Still have intermittent bogging down after hard acceleration. The d$&n thing runs like a raped ape when she wants too. I also forgot to mention I put new cat and flowmaster 10 series exhaust on. My cat was clogged thought maybe it would cure these issues but no such luck. It also seems to shift funny at times in and out of overdrive with slight touch of pedal.maybe TPS or ignition switch is to blame for all this , I'm going nuts can't sleep eyes burn because all I'm doing is searching this forum! I see people are viewing please help me out if you can thanks again.
Shane

Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Cuold be a fuel delivery problem also. Search leakdown test

Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member

New guy thank you for reply! I have checked fuel pressure 61 key on engine off 60 after 10-15 min. I have not checked this while cold could or should there be a difference if the engine has not been warmed up ? Again thank you for the reply!
Shane

Quick Reply: Hard start