Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Head gasket might be gone !!!! Opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member
McCormick_4723 is on a distinguished road
Default Head gasket might be gone !!!! Opinion please

Bit of bad luck with my 95... The drive belt snapped got sucked into the fan clutch caused the engine to overheat ( not bad just got into bottom of the red line) replaced the belth drove it an hour home no problem. ...Drove it to town today and and steam started coming from the passenger side for the engine i cant see where. The battery light is on and it seems as if the belt is slipping.???... opinion on causes please any help to narrow it down before I tear it apart. Could it be the intake? Cracked head? cracked block? No coolent in the oil so far no big clouds from the exhaust...I could run it to see if it over heats but don't want to damage it further

Old 12-16-2017, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Could the water pump have been damaged, specifically the seal at the bearing when you lost the belt?

With the belt off try moving the water pump shaft by hand and see if it is loose.

I've heard of people doing a radiator pressure test so as to pressurize the coolant system without having to get the engine hot. Doing such a test might provide a way to find the leak without risking damaging the engine. I think you should be able to rent a pressure test tool from an auto parts store.

Was the drive belt very old? Perhaps there was a problem with the water pump or one of the other accessories or wheels that caused the belt to fail but before so it somehow did damage to the water pump?

Edit: You mentioned the the steam was coming form the passenger side of the engine. Not the front though?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member

I will take a look at the water pump in the morning...but the steam was coming from the back passager side ( best guess). The Stange thing is you can see the belt slipping when running. Which ( best guess again ) is probably why the battery light is on. To the best of my knowledge a blown gasket should cause a brand new belt to slip...no idea what would cause it to slip....

Old 12-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member

So a further inspection in better light reveled ...A pin hole in the upper water pump house and a pool of antifreeze just below....the coolent must of run down and cooked off the exhaust manifold...How I could blow a hose and the alternator and the same time is beyond Beyond me...but better than a head gasket

Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by McCormick_4723
So a further inspection in better light reveled ...A pin hole in the upper water pump house and a pool of antifreeze just below....the coolent must of run down and cooked off the exhaust manifold...How I could blow a hose and the alternator and the same time is beyond Beyond me...but better than a head gasket
Wow! That is a random problem to have. So glad it will be an easy fix! Thanks for reporting back.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:14 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

Anti freeze on a belt can cause a little slippage, However before you jump into a new alternator for the flickering charge light check your belt tensor for spring tension and drag in it's swing, also check it's pulley bearing for drag and face wear. Could be the reason you ate a belt. Yes been there done that

Last edited by odat; 12-18-2017 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added text