Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

head gasket replaced not starting now

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:30 PM
bluebird is on a distinguished road
Default head gasket replaced not starting now

Hello. I just finished putting blazer back together after head gasket replacement, when I tried to start for 1st time nothing happened as I turned the key. no sounds no spark, fuel pump usually primes but not even that happened. my dash lights light up but that's it nothing from under the hood. Before I changed the head gaskets it was running fine, overheated had mixture in oil so I replaced head gaskets right away. does anyone think I may have broke something electrical? I didn't remove engine, wasn't easy for me and was super tight in there. I had to drop wheel guards so big computer had to be unplugged too could that have sumthing to do with this issue? any advice will be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Go through and check all your connections that you messed with. Something could not be seated properly or in the wrong spot possibly.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 AM

Thank you for your reply Richphotos. I labeled every thing... cing I'm not familiar with the 4.3 v6. I've had people tell me I must have seated the distributor wrong but wouldn't it still at least crank if it were the distributor? Then I had someone say if I removed the main computer(ecm) It would mess up all my sensors and I needed to tow to gm for reprogramming. Please tell me he was wrong. I had to remove wheel guards for more space and instead of taking the chance of it falling or getting damaged I just unplugged the red and black connectors(part of it) and put it in a safer spot. Im going to take your advice and go check all the connections that I reinstalled and pray its gonna be something not so costly. lol Thank you again for your reply.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Default update

sigh... lol my current headache is due to lack of knowledge. however, after tons of research and still really no clue on whats actually causing my problem I have put a multimeter to all my fuses. the ecm b was blown. still no crank no fuel pump prime. I just now noticed that my headlights aren't working either. so summary....it sucks being mechanically dumb. can anyone troubleshoot a girl with willing, capable and damn determined to fix this issue? I did go to the pawn shop and purchase a innova obd2 tool. after hooking up it said no dtcs or freeze frame data found. I can assume other than the money spent on the scanner that was great news. there is another concern I have... when I had the blazer torn down to block there was 3 wires coming from passenger side back of cylinderhead on wiring harness that appeared to have been evenly cut. on the back of that cylinderhead was what looked like they had been grounded to at one time. should I have regrounded those even though they looked evenly cut? on the drivers side cylinder head, I had wires grounded to them behind fuel lines. was I wrong to assume that was a replacement for the 3 evenly cut wires on the passengerside? omgoodness.... sorry to dump what I do know on yall but maybe someone knows what the issue is besides my lack of knowledge. I swear I soak up yalls advice like a sponge and put it to getting this blazer back on the road or off road. lol p.s. this isn't my only ride so if troubleshooting takes awhile.... im willing if someone has the patience. for now im going back out in the freezing cold lol and check ground wires coming from battery cables maybe I have pulled something loose. I hope lol

Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you missed or broke a main grounding wire. see anything that looks like a wire mesh cable floating around not connected to anything?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM

Thank you for your reply gregg64. the weather here has stopped my physical checks on grounds, so I've had time to research. I've half ended learned a lil more about wiring diagrams. lol after tons of videos I realize there are so many nicer tools to make the job lots easier. however all I own is a multimeter that I just purchased, so many how tos later.... I cant hardly wait til the weather gets better. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be a ground in the starting system... Keeping my fingers crossed.