Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

help blazer died on me

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
polecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help blazer died on me

ok so drove my 98 blazer 4x4 yesterday ran fine no problems at all got home and shut it off. It sat for a couple hours went back out to go to the store and nothing the truck just cranks occasionally sputters for a second or two but doesn't run. So I started checking things it already has new plugs, wires,rotor and cap all done less than 6 months ago. I don't hear the fuel pump prime anymore when I turn the key on so I figured that was it. Let it sit over night and came out this morning and there is a puddle under the truck. Its antifreeze dripping off of the front of the engine so now I'm lost has new intake manifold gaskets, new radiator, new thermostat, all new radiator hoses, and new heater core all done with the last 6 months also. So now I'm lost and I really don't think I want to know what's wrong at this point cuz I know its not gonna be good any ideas would be great

Old 10-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: help blazer died on me

Have you checked the water pump?

Old 10-11-2008, 03:00 PM

actually no that completely slipped my mind I instantly thought fuel pump when it would crank but wouldn't start i'm going to get a fuel pressure guage in a few minutes to rule out the fuel pump gonna have to check that too

Old 10-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

About the antifreeze leak, we could speculate, but it really would just waste time and potentially your money. You need to find out where the antifreeze is coming from.

The no-start... Well, I would definitely start with a check of fuel pressure. It would not hurt to verify that the fuel pump fuse and relay are in good working condition.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:52 PM

ok heres an upate checked the relay under the hood for the fuel pump still good so thats out just bought a pressure tester going to do that next. Also the antifreeze is leaking down te front of the engine can't see it from the top but if I lay under the truck it is dripping on the back edge of my plastic cover that is there seems to be right in the center of the engine so i'm thinking water pump as thats about the last thing in the cooling system that hasn't been replaced and when I got the truc the dex cool that was in there was way over due being changed. wil update when I check the pressure and thanks for the help

Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM

ok so I checked the fuel pressure and it does not even move the needle so I guess at this point it has to be something involved with the pump either lack of power or the pump not sure how to use the overide in the fuse box to force the pump to run though if anybody can provide some insight on that please let me know

Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM

just to update everybody it is the fuel pump banged on the gas tank and instantly the fuel pressure guage jumped up to 60 psi so I get that fun adventure thanks for all of your help